IT dats together?

duongsta4o9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
USA
i read the post that keeping indo dats together is not a good idea...but i've seen it work on comm vids a lot.

im sure 2 is not a good idea, i have 1 in a large tank right now and 1 in a small. they are both 3"-4".

if i buy more and keep them all in a big tank, is that better to lessen their aggression? they are both on pellets and have other tankmates

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
If they are close to the same size they will fight when small up to about 12"

If you have big size say 12" and 4" they don't seam to fight

If you have hiding places they will fight over them

You can keep them together but they seam to fight more when small

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
In my case it isn't fighting, just hard chasing. I got 4 2" in January. Once they got settled in it began. Never any lost scales or any kind of damage.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
To me, fighting is when somebody gets something besides their pride hurt.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
To me, fighting is when somebody gets something besides their pride hurt.
If that's what you think that's great that means tigers never ever fight

Split fins happen from chasing and to me split fins happen a lot so they are fighting and not much more than that ever happens

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Sorry, T1. Sometimes I forget you know more then everyone else and that others opinions pale by comparison. Forgive me?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Before you go out and buy more indos try putting these 2 together first in the big tank. You just never know with dats as far as aggression, so take a chance. If the 1 in the big tank now attacks him right away, then get a few more. With indos I always like numbers anyway (at first) cause when they start to grow and develop their own individual personalities and colors, the more you have the better chance you will have to find 1 with an outgoing personality and nice colors. Then sell off the less dominant ones once the hierarchy has been established. Yes, you do see tanks full of dats a lot, but usually 1 is growing to meet his age and others are slowing getting stunted cause they spend the majority of their time running or stuck in a corner. This is the norm, but multiple large dat exceptions do happen on rare occasions

Sams0n

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Wanderland
The more the merrier. I had 2 NTT 2" in a 40g and one always hid. There were dither fish and plenty of hiding places and one seemed to be the weakling. IMO doesn't hurt to have more if you have the tank space. You can always sell them back out for more than you paid once they get bigger

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Sorry, T1. Sometimes I forget you know more then everyone else and that others opinions pale by comparison. Forgive me?
I seam to know more than you if you think they chase for fun

What do you class chasing as if not fighting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store