Fry Tank Setup

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hey I'm setting up a fry tank and would appreciate any input on how I can make it work, or tips on what to include or omit. Here is what I have so far;

1. 30 gallon tank - Bigger than I wanted but it's just sitting around and may as well be put to good use. I removed the gravel and painted the bottom (I hate bare glass bottoms.)

2. An Aquaclear Filter - It's suited for a 75 gallon tank, again too big, but I have made an attachment for the intake that I hope prevents my fry from getting sucked into the filter. It's the attached picture.

That's the bare bones of it and it's what I plan on proceeding with unless there is something I am forgetting. I know that the tank size might normally make feeding the fry somewhat difficult but these guys are already coming up to the top of my 220 when I put the crushed flakes in and poke them down in the water with my finger. Not sure if the sound is triggering the response, but they know how to eat pretty well. The filter is obviously a concern but I think that the gizmo I set up should diffuse the suction enough to give the fry a chance to get away. Also I believe the intake power is somewhat adjustable on those filters, but I'll have to see, Iv'e never tried to get less performance from one. That knob on the top slides the intake tube left/right and by the looks of it, closes slightly or fully opens the water to the filter.

The reason I'm starting the separate tank is that I had put the last batch of fry in a divided section of my 55 but the divider leaves a bit of space against the glass that fry can, and do, easily slide through, even though there was a 3 inch Flowerhorn on the other side waiting to eat them. He was grateful the first experiment failed I'm sure. Just curious if I need anything else before I go on, I'd hate to waste any more of these guys because I'm not prepared.

FilterIntakeFryTank.png

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Sounds good if you can get auto feeder it comes in handy with fry feeds. You can cut a aqua clear sponge to fit around the stock intake that net might not give it enough flow since its so fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
So far so good. I spent the last two nights building a stand for the tank, painting it and making the transfer. The filter was already on the tank the fry were in so I just syphoned water from the 220 into the 30, then added the filter with the additional intake connection. Catching the fry was interesting but I managed to get at least 3/4ths of them, some 200 fish I would guess. No fatalities over night so everything looks square. Here's some shots of the work.

Ts1.jpg

Ts2.jpg

Ts3.jpg

Ts4.jpg

Ts5.jpg

Ts6.jpg

Ts7.jpg

Ts8.jpg

Ts9.jpg

Ts10.jpg

Ts11.jpg

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
And here is some shots of the tank setup. It looks like my 220 had a child. he fry are pretty nondescript right now.

F.jpg

F2.jpg

Ft20.jpg

Ft21.jpg

Ft22.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store