New Tank- Cracked

Haanerroll

Feeder Fish
May 4, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forums (sorry if it's not placed in the right section). I purchased a 72 gallon bow front aquarium today with stand/filter/heater etc. The tank had never been used and had been sitting in the mans basement since the summer. I didn't look it over close enough and after removing some dust after the tank was returned home I found these cracks in the bottom of the tank. They are in 3 of the 4 corners, they are small (a few inches each) and they don't go all the way through the glass (can only feel them inside the tank...nothing on the bottom. My question is whether I can still use this tank or if is it scrap now? They look like scratches inside the tank but i'm not sure how this effects the structural integrity of the tank. So i'm looking for any advice, is it ok? Is it garbage? Can I fix the tank somehow to improve it? The brand is Oceanic. Thanks for your time and any help/advice! IMG-20130605-00302.jpgIMG-20130605-00303.jpgIMG-20130605-00304.jpg

IMG-20130605-00302.jpg

IMG-20130605-00303.jpg

IMG-20130605-00304.jpg

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
imo NEVER TRUST A CRACKED.tank..others opinions will vary

Mpronsky11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Long island NY
When you purchase tanks from other people I usually tend to make the sure the tank is up and running, if not be VERY cautious of what you buy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ya i'm wondering why you didn't check if it was cracked or something like that. That crack seems very noticeable.

Superbass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
Canada
well since its already done... depends if you want to try to diy. you can try to silicone a plate of glass over it, wait for another busted tank for cheap with a good bottom and replace it or plywood do a bottom. theres lots of videos on this to learn fellow canadian and mf uarujoey usually has well explained diy vids on youtube.

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
u sure its not scratches?? i cant tell from the pics. sometimes a net going to the bottom of sand can scratch the crap outta the bottom glass... maybe its from netting fish out??

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Those look like scratches to me. If they were true cracks they would be a lot deeper. Could be from gravel or sand when decor is moved around the substrate can scratch the glass. I bought a 40 breeder about a month ago I toke the tank down two weeks ago and it had scratches. That was bought brand new from the store.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
If they are cracks that go even part way through the glass, the tank will not hold a full tank worth of water before the bottom gives out. If they are simply superficial scratches, you can use it as intended.

Unfortunately a lot of us learn the hard way to look very closely at the tanks we buy from other people. My first mistake happened when I got too excised about a tank listed as a 100 gallon for $50. I bought it and took it home. Well I was so excited I didn't stop to think that it clearly was too small to be 100 gallons. But when I measured dimensions, it came out to be 50 gallons. I figured a $1 a gallon was still a decent buy. Well I didn't examine the tank closely enough and it turned out to be a critter cage.....which won't hold enough water for an aquarium. Now I go over tanks with a fine tooth comb if they are not already up and running. I would rather wait the 30-60 minutes for an owner to drain it than to get ripped off.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store