How would you stock two connect 245 gallon tanks sitting side by side.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
I am setting up two side by side 245 gallon tanks to look like one 12 ft long tank. I was initially going to put large predators like rays, bass, etc with a constant water change system. Recent crash after my return from vacation has changed my plans. It is simply too hard to maintain messy predators in my water( high pH, low dKH, and high dissolved gases so no water change greater than 30% possible).

I would like the two tanks to look like one large system so decor needs to be consistent. They need to be pristine display systems, wife's requirement. Here are my ideas, feel free to add your own.

Option 1
Two African cichlid systems, biotopes for Lake Tanganyika and Malawi or just on large Tanganyika system with two separate blue type front colonies with cyps, shellies, calvus, etc.

Option 2
low tech planted tanks. One with schools of tetras, discus, hatchets, etc. Other with rainbows and barbs. Similar plantings just two types of communities.

Option 3
Marine fowler systems, one heavy on live rock with community, other with predators, small groupers, bamboo cat sharks, other predators and large tangs.

Option 4
?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Couldn't you possibly mix options 1 and 2 together?

Maybe one tank can be a biotope system with slightly larger predatory fish, while the other biotope can be a low tech planted with more community vibe... that way you get the best of both worlds and decor could still match...

vanman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
Woodinville WA
Practical Fishkeeping Mag. said it best, 'set up a tank you can truly maintain with the level of commitment of time and money, otherwise it becomes a burden. If you only truly have time for option number 2, leave the dicus out (high maintenance) then just stick with your truth. You can always change later when you are not burnt out and have more time. Change is always exciting in the fish keeping world!

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
If I go freshwater I plan on a constant drip system with hot water from water heater through some HMA filters to remove chlorine. I am also plumbing in three 150 gallon tubs in stand and a bunch or 20 longs for grow out and quarantine if needed. I will be able to take offline and treat if need be.

Discus now are not like discus of old which I have kept. They are much more hardy now and more tolerant of typical community water as long as temps are up.

I am stuck because there are a lot of different ideas in my head for really cool and naturalistic systems. I want the two tanks to match each other in decor enough to seem like on large tank though for the effect.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
You still going to keep any rays? Sounds like you have the same water as i do over here. Maybe you just need to beef up your filtration. Sorry to hear you had problems

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
As someone who used to run an aquarium maintenance business, if it's a display tank, keep it simple.

It's hard to beat a school of red-tailed tinfoil barbs and say a large Paratherps melanurus (synspilum).

It's not a mistake that most tanks in malls, hospitals, libraries and other public places tend to have parrots, silver dollars, barbs and the like.

If you can't do large water changes, don't do African cichlids...

Anything involving live plants is going to be a lot of work and won't always look up to snuff.

Matt

Sams0n

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Wanderland
As someone who used to run an aquarium maintenance business, if it's a display tank, keep it simple.

It's hard to beat a school of red-tailed tinfoil barbs and say a large Paratherps melanurus (synspilum).

It's not a mistake that most tanks in malls, hospitals, libraries and other public places tend to have parrots, silver dollars, barbs and the like.

If you can't do large water changes, don't do African cichlids...

Anything involving live plants is going to be a lot of work and won't always look up to snuff.

Matt
I agree with dog. I've kept planted tanks before as a main showpiece in my living room and it just became a hassle when your plants grow out of control, black algae bloom, hair algae. Plant tanks require certain light spectrum and when your bulb gets old (eventhough it turns on) it's not producing the right spectrum it causes algae to grow. I've never kept Africans so I can't comment about that. I think with a display that size, anything looks good. I would do schooling fish since its going to be like a fish wall. Just my 2 cents.

If I had your tanks I would definitely do a group of aros just because I love all aro species. (Yes even silvers) haha :D

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
You still going to keep any rays? Sounds like you have the same water as i do over here. Maybe you just need to beef up your filtration. Sorry to hear you had problems

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I would love to but with my last crash I am too frustrated to think about it. I have been keeping and breeding african cichlids here since I moved with no problems. The rays were always a struggle due to the softness of the water. May try again, if so they will be Leo pups from you, but I don't know what I would do if an issue took them from me. Once I set up the constant drip we will see how stable the system stays.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
I agree with dog. I've kept planted tanks before as a main showpiece in my living room and it just became a hassle when your plants grow out of control, black algae bloom, hair algae. Plant tanks require certain light spectrum and when your bulb gets old (eventhough it turns on) it's not producing the right spectrum it causes algae to grow. I've never kept Africans so I can't comment about that. I think with a display that size, anything looks good. I would do schooling fish since its going to be like a fish wall. Just my 2 cents.

If I had your tanks I would definitely do a group of aros just because I love all aro species. (Yes even silvers) haha :D
Not big enough for a group of arowanas unfortunately. My last silver was 30 inches when I rehomed it to a 720. That took 24 months in a 240. Started with 3 but the other two were chased out within the first 6 months through glass tops.

I am thinking Tanganyikan community with schools of cyprichromis, group of blue type frontosa, and some misc shell dwellers and lamprologous types.

For planted tank I was thinking big pieces of driftwood with attached plants like anubias, java fern, java moss. Low light and low maintenance. Gonna hook in a paludarium if I go fresh, which is how I am leaning. Thinking small tetras, shrimps, hatchets, and dart frogs and an emerald tree boa as a showpiece. May set up another marine just for giggles. Got a great source for fish now so hard to pass up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store