question about frozen foods.

AionAris

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2013
Orlando FL
Hey so i recently caught a bunch of guppies and put them in my feeder tank. The ones that died i decided to freeze. Is it safe to feed my belly crawler pike and oscar the frozen guppies? Perhaps if i cut them into chunks?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
No if they died its for a reason. They could be sick or diseased I would treat all of the rest for internal and external parasites and illnesses before feeding. Flush the frozen ones.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ I agree that i wouldn't freeze guppies or any other fish that died in my tank to be used later as feeders... since as doomiedee said, they could have died for a number of reasons and could cause your other fish problems if fed to them later...

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
If they are frozen long enough - that will kill off anything harmful to your fish. Just make sure to thaw them slowly. Don't use warm water or anything of that nature. Let them thaw slowly over night in your fridge.

bassfisher91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2012
New York
If they are frozen long enough - that will kill off anything harmful to your fish. Just make sure to thaw them slowly. Don't use warm water or anything of that nature. Let them thaw slowly over night in your fridge.
I agree with zoodiver...freeze them for a month if you're worried.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
NOT true. It will kill some parasites but will NOT kill bacteria. Freezing bacteria only puts them into a kind of suspended animation. It won't kill all parasites either.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
With so many options available why take the risk. I would be worried if they died and I didn't know why. I wouldn't feed them to my fish.

Deathinnumbers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Stuck in a nano cube
A lot of times people but feeders n just throw them in without accumulation and there are bred n kept in cold water tanks. So when people throw feeders in n fish don't finish them there are always a few dead the next 2 days due to shock. Thinks these are the feeders he's talking about

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store