Sand Filters

sam_everist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
Hi All,

I am currently in the process of upgrading my filtration, my tank is a 6x2x2 - was looking to move to a large Pond filter with 8000-10000lph flow rate, but whilst looking on ebay for pumps etc I came across this and wondered if they are any good? and what sort of size would be needed to filter my tank?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sand-Mast...171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aebb56c6b

Any help would be much appreciated

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
If you want a good sand filter the smaller size to mine
Its a cloverleaf mp25 my mate has a brand new one for sale
I think he want £100-125 for it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Hi All,

I am currently in the process of upgrading my filtration, my tank is a 6x2x2 - was looking to move to a large Pond filter with 8000-10000lph flow rate, but whilst looking on ebay for pumps etc I came across this and wondered if they are any good? and what sort of size would be needed to filter my tank?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sand-Mast...171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aebb56c6b

Any help would be much appreciated
I use something similar as a mechanical filter on my two smaller tanks (I have one on my 200g and another one on my 350g). What I use is a Hayward 16" sand filter housing
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S166T...29882&sr=8-1&keywords=sand+filter+hayward+16"

Problem is you can't use sand in them unless your able to backwash daily or multiple times per day. The sand will stick together and cake up into a cement like block over time without frequent backwashing. There are alternative types of media that can be used in the filter housing though such as zeolite, crushed glass, sinking plastic beads. All have their advantages and disadvantages its just finding the best fit for your tank and system.

Also depending on what media you used a higher pressure pump may be needed in order to backwash/clean the media properly which can lead to slightly higher electric bill from the pumps electrical draw.

I am a big fan of them though for ease of maintenance and flexibility. The key is you just have to modify and tweak it a bit to fill your specific need.

sam_everist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
T1, would this do my 180g? even if it was heavily stocked?
Also do you know rough dimensions? needs to fit in a cupboard that is approx 50cm x 50cm x 50cm

Electricity isnt a huge problem, I just want something decent, its between one of these and a big pond filter at the moment.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
T1, would this do my 180g? even if it was heavily stocked?
Also do you know rough dimensions? needs to fit in a cupboard that is approx 50cm x 50cm x 50cm

Electricity isnt a huge problem, I just want something decent, its between one of these and a big pond filter at the moment.
A sand filter is a add on to a sump they shouldn't be run as your only form of filtration
They are great for heavy bio load

Look on the cloverleaf website for dimensions

The MP models are the best as they have a built in bypass so you don't lose any flow from the pump

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sam_everist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
Oh ok, so that answers my question, not as only filtration... I think I will stick to the pond filter idea for now and maybe add the sand filter int he future.

Cheers for info

sam_everist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
Oh ok then, I always thought sand was for biological filtration due to the high surface area?
OK, so what percentage do I fill this thing with K1? say its a 10L canister - do I get like 7L of K1 ?

Cheers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store