External Pump Question 3800 - 5000 gal

Mo Ruthless

Feeder Fish
Jun 7, 2013
Blue Creek Ohio
Alrighty... I'm working on a 3800 gal breeding aquarium (Koi) Blah blah blah. Ok I don't want to go with a Sub. I'd like an external water pump. Also. This pump will have to be able to lift water up about 10 ft to a 200 gal gravity filter and aquaponics plant beds. I may possibly step it up to 5000 gal depending on cost, which is what I'm in the process of figuring out. Any insight into what pump(s) I should go with would be very appreciated.

I used the search bar and got this after 6 tries.

searchd error: per-query max_matches=20000 out of bounds (per-server max_matches=1000)

So if this has been covered I do apologize. I did take time to search.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
A good vendor or manufacturer will ask for the exact specs of your setup and do the math to determine your total dynamic head in order to recommend the appropriate sized pump. Note that just because you are pumping water 10' vertically does not mean you only have 10' of head pressure; horizontal runs, elbows, valves, running water through a filter etc are all going to add to your total head and should be considered when sizing a pump to your system.

The lower you keep your total dynamic head (by either reducing the height of your gravity filter or using larger plumbing to reduce friction loss within the pipe) the smaller the pump you can use to achieve your desired flow. Designing a system with low energy requirments can save you tons of cash over the years, so since you are in the planning stages, I would take the time to make the system as efficient as possible.

I have heard good things about the following pumps, although I have no personal experience with them:

W. Lim
Sequence
Artesian Performance Pro

PS- You may want to search the forums on Koiphen if you are looking for first hand exeprience with these pumps...lots of good info there and it's more geared toward ponds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store