My Clown Knife Thread

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
This will be my clown knife thread. I have a thread like this for just about all of my major fish and I have yet to make one for my clown. I bought him around 4-5 inches long at a nearby lfs that almost always has them available. I picked this one out of the bunch because he had lop-sided spots(7 on on side 8 on he other). According to the manager he has been fed feeders his whole life and within the week of me purchasing him he has easily taken to: pellets(his fav), frozen silversides/shrimp/squid and earthworms. I still feed him qt'd feeder fish because it is crazy watching these guys hunt! I bought him january 31st 2013 so that means I have owned him roughly 3.5 months(ish). He is now over 7" long and growing very fast, almost up to 8". He is slightly territorial to my red tail payara but they will be separated down the road due to size difference. So now here are some pics of this cool fish.
I will periodically update this thread with pics and info but really just so I can see his progress on paper which is why I write out long threads like these. anyways thanks for reading :)

These were pics that were taken on the first day I got him.
IMG_0649.JPGIMG_0670.jpg

Now here are pics of him in chronological order. the last pic was taken 6-4-13.
IMG_0733.jpgIMG_0054.JPGIMG_1281.jpgIMG_1342.jpgIMG_1354.jpg

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
Nice man !

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I saw a true albino ck afew months ago, I kick my self for not getting him.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
He will EASILY kill the ropefish when he gets to 2 foot... And BTW, i KNOW! I own a 27 incher i raised from 3 inches ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
rope-fish died awhile ago do to heater burn. how old is you ck?

My clown is only 1 year (since i got him at 2-3 inches) and he really SHOULD be a LOT bigger but I had him stunted in my old 75 for 2 months when his big tank leaked :( they grow as fast if not faster then oscars in my experience and can and WILL (if properly cared for) get to 36 inches. And I HAVE seen 2 36 inchers that were brought into the shop each in a 50 gallon drum eyes as big as golf balls. It irritates me to NO END when members on here say "oh, clown knives get around 24 inches!" It is not true. And mine IS a NORMAL clown knife (chitala ornata, all clown knives are ornata NOT chitala chitala like everyone thinks... Chitala chitala are endangered in fact...) But the "Giant Featherbacks" (chitala lopis) can get up to 50" but they are completely a different subject...

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
rope-fish died awhile ago do to heater burn. how old is you ck?

CKs start TRYING to eat fish that do not even fin in their mouths at about 20 inches... An example is mine when he was id say 22 inches chomping a 15 inch arowana to death... He just keeps chomping until it dies and leaves it to rot... Also he killed a 8 inch oscar when he was only 17 inches so watch out... They do not JUST eat what fits in their mouth... People say never trust a catfish but I say never trust a clown knife... My latest incident was my clown trying to kill a 15 inch florida gar. Luckily i caught it in time...

rgonzales

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
where i dont wanna be
arent chitala chitala royal knives?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store