125 tank without a center brace?

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Anyone have an old 125 gallon 6ft tank that didn't have the center braces? I'm trying to pick one up from Craigslist and just want to make sure it's legit and not a tank that had them removed. I had a 75 with no center brace which looked real nice but a 125, that sounds crazy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

oscar98

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 3, 2013
millville pennsylvania
Anyone have an old 125 gallon 6ft tank that didn't have the center braces? I'm trying to pick one up from Craigslist and just want to make sure it's legit and not a tank that had them removed. I had a 75 with no center brace which looked real nice but a 125, that sounds crazy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I have a 150g without a center brace. PITA to find a top so i went open top. It will be fine. Still want to look to make sure it wasnt removed

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Many older tanks were built with thicker glass to compensate for the no center brace to stop bowing. Check to see if it was built without a brace or if it was removed.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
I have an older 150 tank as well without the center braces. And yes...it definitely has thicker glass...and is MUCH heavier!!!

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Yep the center brace is to prevent the water pressure from bowing the tank glass out. This is why thicker glass works too its stronger and the water pressure isn't enough to bow thicker glass. But manufacturers found that a brace will stop it from bowing, weigh much less, and cost them less in glass too

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
I have a 150 gal without a brace, it's been set up since 1987.

The glass is at least 1" in thickness
What do you think about 3/4" thick glass? That's what the seller says the glass is. Seems a little thin?

Naos1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2012
Pasig, Philippines
Someone here posted a "Safety Calculator". You can calculate it yourself but at 1.9cm, that should be thick enough but if you are unsure and don't want to risk anything, go up to 1" like what Duanes did. It will be very heavy though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store