Screws for 4x4 stand?

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
What screw length do I need if Im using 4x4 wood for the top and bottom frame of the stand?

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Long ones. You want the screws to penetrate at least a couple inches make sure you don't just screw straight in on all of them. Screw in on some angles to lock everything tightly together

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Sounds overkill! Surely there is a better/easier way of doing it than screwing 6"+ screws though 4" of timber?

rnocera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I know this is old, but for anyone reading this for reference:

When you're attaching two pieces of wood, your screw should go the entire way through the first piece of wood, and half that distance into the second piece. So, if you're attaching a 2x4 (actual dimensions 1 1/2" x 3 1/2"), you'd want at least 2 1/4" screws.

That said, this breaks down with bigger lumber, and you shouldn't be screwing 4x4s together. I agree with the last poster, steel framing connectors are basically a must if you're trying to use 4x4s for a project like this, at least on the inside where they can be hidden. If you're set on screwing them together, you should be pre-drilling holes, and using lag bolts instead of screws.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store