banjo catfish

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
So awhile back I saw these guys in a store and thought they were pretty cool. So I bought 2 and brought them home.
1365898672938.jpg
After a while (mainly joining this site) I started to learn more about keeping fish, especially those I already possess and started to try to improve things. For these guys I needed to do something about the gravel as they like my burrow into the substrate. So I started to brainstorm and removed most of the deco. While doing my thinking (cleaning out cobwebs takes awhile) I made a temporary fix and gave them a sandbox.
1368924929333.jpg1368924938174.jpg1368926242074.jpg
I knew the sandbox wouldn't cut it for long and I was starting to get an idea of something to try, It was when I saw too little walls that things started to click. I don't want a complete sand base as it churns up too much when I'm adding water during my water changes (I use 5 gallon pails), whereas the gravel is heavier.
1369787230445.jpg
So I came up with this ... two problems, I screwed up on the sand ... the first bag I'd gotten was coarser, whereas this stuff was way finer it turns out; the store was sold out of the first kind, and I wanted something now. And two it was way to empty.
At this point though I had discovered driftwood already and was on the prowl for 1 or 2 pieces that could work. Patience is a virtue ... and I need more of it. But luckily one day I found 2 pieces I thought would be perfect.
1370724155748.jpg
Now after seeing my son's tank using most of my fake plants, I took the remainder and stuck them in here. Added the bridge to help hold back the gravel behind the walls and it gives me the perfect target for adding pails of water. There was no substrate displacement on the last water change.
Now I've seen a few members on here who have Banjo Catfish in some of their tanks. My question is does this setup work for them ... I find these guys pretty cool and wanted to improve on their conditions. Its a 30 gallon tank, gravel is stacked to the height of the walls almost 4" thick, the rest of the tank is this very fine sand 8" wide and 2" deep. The minute the sandbox was first added, I've rarely seen them touch the gravel.

1365898672938.jpg

1368924929333.jpg

1368924938174.jpg

1368926242074.jpg

1369787230445.jpg

1370724155748.jpg

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
They always remind me of mini goonches.

lovetofish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Sonoma, CA
I was thinking about getting one, but instead i got a red belly pacu.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
One of my favorite "mini monsters" Like the set-up idk if they would care but some live java fern on the DW imho would look nice. and that stuff will grow in almost any lighting ect.

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
One of my favorite "mini monsters" Like the set-up idk if they would care but some live java fern on the DW imho would look nice. and that stuff will grow in almost any lighting ect.
I agree on the java fern, or even an anubis I was thinking .... just wanted check up on my setup ... which you've helped with. THANKS. At least I know I'm in the right direction.
One of the Banjo's took a beating you could say. The time they spent in just the gravel its one barb is quite short. I'd say about half the length .. is that for life now or could it heal back?

As well thanks for the compliments on the species ... mini-goonch as it was stated. These guys are awesome in my mind, yes they hide alot but they do come out and so peaceful. If I want to see these guys I just scoop them up with my hand. They're tail is usually sticking partial out so I can find them and they just lay in the palm of my hand.

Ky you should get one for him.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
+3 on them looking like mini goonches.

You've come a long way Mr. Mom. Its really refreshing to see someone taking advice and using it to learn and grow within the hobby which strongly benefits their fish.

I wish I was less boneheaded and more like you when people tried to help me in the beginning! lol

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
+3 on them looking like mini goonches.

You've come a long way Mr. Mom. Its really refreshing to see someone taking advice and using it to learn and grow within the hobby which strongly benefits their fish.

I wish I was less boneheaded and more like you when people tried to help me in the beginning! lol
Thank you very much for the compliment .... but I've got so much more to learn still. As for being boneheaded ... I'm with you there. My kid has watched my mistakes and taken a keen interest into the hobby lately. We've been doing research and making a notebook of different fish we've had, have, or thought of getting. Helps stop impulse buying as well. He has his own tank now too.
It definetely helps when people take the time to answer our questions, even the mundane ones.
Thanks again

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
I have a strange banjo cat. He floats to the top of the tank then sinks back down.
That does sound strange, mine just stick to the bottom. But I've seen others on the sides and such. Never heard of one floating up and sinking back down.

Anyhow still waiting for some feedback about my Banjo's Barbs. Do they grow back or will it always be that way?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store