Width v. Length

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
In a tank with a few large fish is it better have a longer tank or a wider tank. I'd rather have wider so i can use all the same lighting but if I have to I will get the longer tank.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Me personally, i prefere width over length. I also keep lots of predators so footprint means everything to me.

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
bigger foot print better as far as im concerned. Doesn't matter as long as they can swim comfortably. (turning and get some good swimming in across the tank)

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Neither is best, you need adequate dimensions with both.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I prefer my tanks as close to a box as possible.. why I love the 40B for "small" tanks. and our intex pool for our "big" tanks... also dig the size of the 120W. with big fish I still go by the 1.5 width x2-4 length and height = .... which in a nutshell puts most "big fish" in the 24" width bracket if not larger. I think length comes into play when you are talking housing larger cichlids for territory issues. My fishes comfort comes first... aesthetics come usually a distant second or third when I look at buying a tank/set-up.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I have a
5' Long
3' wide
2'tall

225 gallon tank, and I would take that over a 8x1.5 or 8x2 any day

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Neither is best, you need adequate dimensions with both.
I whole heatedly agree with this, you could have a 10' long tank, but if it only has a width of 1.5' you are still going to limit yourself pretty bad...

Having adequate dimensions for your final stocking selection is probably the most important thing to consider... and if you aren't sure what your future stock is, try and maximize both width and length...

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Agree with Brian that you need both, but it also depends on stock. A big pile of fat lazy bichirs would do well in a wide tank, but a bunch of fast riverine fish like loaches or barbs would do better on a long tank with plenty of flow.

Personally I love the look of wide tanks though.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I like length personally, but then I am not a huge monster fish person. Personally, I would love to do a dwarf cichlid tank with a 10' long tank that is only 12" wide. I think that would be awesome. But unfortunately it's uses beyond that are pretty limited.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store