True jardini aggression?

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hello,
Ive been looking into leichardtis for a while now, and I really don't want to fork out the dough for one.
So I'm back to jardinis.

I've been reading many posts that say that Asian arowanas are just as aggressive as jardinis, but they can still be kept with other fish. How is tho possible?

Is there any way to calm down a jar?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ullysses

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Grow em up from babies with other fish.
I grew my Jardini from 1.5" with pbass and silver dollars.
He is 12" now and in with 30 other fish in a 300gal.
Smalles fish in the tank would be 2".
He has his days where he chases a few of the larger tank mates every so often, but stays nice the rest of the time.
It's hit an miss from what I have heard, I got lucky with my first one.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hq statesman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
qld Australia
I've got my jardini in with other fish but its only 12 cm where are you from and how much are they worth there here in Australia a leichardti is about $55 and a jardini is $120 - $180

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
All fish are different, some will be fine with other fish, others will not. The chances are most jardinis will not get along with tankmates, you just have to try it out.

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Like others have said, some can be alright, but there are alot of horror stories.

If you decide to go for it and get one just have a backup plan/tank.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Hello,
Ive been looking into leichardtis for a while now, and I really don't want to fork out the dough for one.
So I'm back to jardinis.

I've been reading many posts that say that Asian arowanas are just as aggressive as jardinis, but they can still be kept with other fish. How is tho possible?

Is there any way to calm down a jar?

You said you have been looking into them for a WHILE? I read your post just yesterday where you asked what one WAS LOL! But if you DO decide to research them further then PM me because my friend Brian is selling 2 of them he has for a good price to...

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
You said you have been looking into them for a WHILE? I read your post just yesterday where you asked what one WAS LOL! But if you DO decide to research them further then PM me because my friend Brian is selling 2 of them he has for a good price to...
Ya I see how that looks now LOL...
But i meant that more like, " I barely had to look Into these guys at all to decide that they aren't worth it

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
jars usually turn rogue after 12 inches.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
My jar has been a problem for me with aggression he's killed loads of tankmates over the years , however I still have tankmates with him and hes 20" ,big cats work some cichlids will work if they are grown up together it helps , jags dovii pcbass , id try to avoid silver fish as they attract constant attention , there are loads of members that keep jars with no trouble at all its all just luck of the draw , don't give up on the jardini once you own one you won't look back ( even if it eats a few mates hahaha :D )

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I've never kept one, but generally with aggressive fish the best way to passify them is by giving them space. A massive tank and plenty of foot-long-dithers (tinfoils, big SDs etc) would be your best bet IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store