Paradise Fish Tank Mates

Brewster320

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Mass, USA
I have some questions about fish that are compatible with Paradise fish. Basically I've have a large man paradise fish for several years and throughout that time hes been moved through several tanks and is now in my 40 gallon "community". I very much enjoy paradise fish as they are gorgeous, a good size, and are pretty active. However I've learned they are extremely aggressive. During the time I've had him he's tormented everything I've put with him other than bottom feeders. This includes a Ram cichlid he tormented to death and an entire school of rainbow fish he killed his self. I hoped moving his up into large tanks would take some of the aggression off the other fish but unfortunately it doesn't seem so.

His setup right now is a 40gallon tank filled with about 30 gallon of water, heavily planted with live and fake plants(hopefully switched them to all live over time), and filtered by 2 Eheim canister filtered rated for 30 gallons. His tank mates are a school of 5 albino cory cats, a bristle nose pleco, a juvenile common musk turtle, and a pair of jewel cichlids. He leaves the bottom fish alone and after first trying to confront the turtle months ago when I first put them together and getting put in his place he leaves the turtle alone too. The jewel cichlids though he has completely dominated and they hide all the time due to him relentlessly chasing them once they come out. So I have this nice tank with lots of activity down near the bottom between the cats and the turtle but none in the midsection or the top. So does anyone have any advice for some tank mates that could tolerate him and liven up the tank a bit?

Also for anyone whose unfamiliar with turtles don't freak out. Common Musk Turtles(aka Stink Pots) aren't highly predatory like sliders, snappers, and other commonly kept turtles. They are a small(5" max for a big male), slow growing(10 years to reach adulthood), and poor swimming turtle that usually just walk along the bottom rather than swim. They are mainly scavengers, they will eat a fish thats already dead but they won't even both hunting a live fish. I've had this turtle for 2 years, kept with fish the entire time, and I've never had a fish lost to him.

Heres a picture of the setup, pretty empty as you can see

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1370898464.485683.jpg

hamster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Ipswich England
Cool tank. I'm sorry I can't think of anything to help at the moment but I'll think hard. I have a musk turtle with a bristle nose I wanted to add to my community tank but was not sure if it was a good idea but your doing well so I might take the plunge and go for it.

Brewster320

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Mass, USA
Cool tank. I'm sorry I can't think of anything to help at the moment but I'll think hard. I have a musk turtle with a bristle nose I wanted to add to my community tank but was not sure if it was a good idea but your doing well so I might take the plunge and go for it.
Thanks! The only problem I had was when the paradise fish decided to tank him on he got his fins really torn up. He's healed up though and that's the only problem I had.

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
Do you have a pic of your paradise fish?

Brewster320

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Mass, USA
Here's a picture of him. I'd like to get a picture of him with his fins spread out but he only does that really first thing in the morning or when he's showing off to another fish.

Also I added a school of 7 rummynose tetras and surprisingly he's paid 0 attention too them. If anything he's been less aggressive towards the other fish and the other fish are less skittish since I've added them. If they are still doing good in a week I think I'll go grab some more. I love the way they school and liven up the tank!

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1371266403.914667.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store