Setting up a fish room

TerrorC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Ohio
I am currently setting up a fish room and so far I have a Alita Linear AL-60. I really don't know much about bigger air systems and was wondering what else I will need with it to set it up. I am going to set up 6-8 40 gallon breeders maybe 2 30g and 3 20 long. Is there anyone who knows a lot about setting up a fish room who could help me out with questions? Right now I really only have 180g, 150g, 125g, 2 75g, so mainly these would be for breeding. I am also wondering where would be a good place to order some sponge filter online for cheaper prices. Any help you guys can give would be really appreciated.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Plenty of people around here have multiple tanks running on air pump systems, including myself. We'd be more than happy to help you out. Post you questions here or PM if you like.

Basically though, you will need:

PVC - For running the air around the room
Air Valves - For tapping into the PVC for individual lines
Air line - For getting the air to the tank.
Sponge Filters - I'm sure you know the gist of these.

I've used just about every sponge filter out there. Best I have found yet is the Cube Filter from Swiss Tropicals. It looks simple, but does a great job. They look cheap and simple, but the genious is in the white/gray uptake tube that is sold with it. It gives the perfect size bubble for effective filtration. Just Google Swiss Tropicals. Stephan is a coold guy to work with. He'll give a 7-10% discount on a larger order.

TerrorC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Ohio
Alright I will definitely post any questions I have. Right now I'm trying to track down some more tanks.

TerrorC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Ohio
The room I am setting them up in will have the tanks facing out width wise. Has anyone else done this in their fish room to fit more tanks in an area?

TerrorC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Ohio
I will kind of turn this into a progression guide and post pictures on how it is coming along if anyone is interested in seeing how it will turn out.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I don't know where you are in Ohio, but my local club is having their auction on June 22 and I know there will be a lot of tanks available as a member has to tear down his fish room due to health concerns.

I always enjoy seeing updates on new fish rooms so post away.

How big is the room going to be?

TerrorC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2009
Ohio
The room itself is not very big. I do have a good amount of pictures to post. I was actually going to go to the auction that weekend but had something come up. I am highly considering coming to the other auction that is going to be this weekend. I Currently have 9 20g longs, 1 30g, and 6 40g breeders. I still need to track down one more 40g breeder, 8 30g and two 75 gallon tanks. I also have the stands built for the x6 40g breeders, x9 30g, x 9 20g long. So far my total investment is around $1400. But $450 of that was getting a 125g and 180g. Right now I am just trying to figure out how I am going to set up the air system for the Alita AL-60 Air Pump. I am trying to save a little because I am looking to make a $500.00+ order of fish from Rapps. Any advice on how to set up the hose? The way I will have the pump positioned is above all the tank lines so I won't need to worry about the water coming back in. After I get off work tonight I will post some of the pictures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store