Help with Calote! (Again)

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
Not happy. Here is the original thread, and now I have more issues.
What the heck is on the female? They look like small red dots, but they don't seem to move (which pushed me away from mites, dealt with those on a pair of large iguanas before I changed jobs from the pet store, and these don't appear to be the same thing)
Any advice or ideas or answers would be greatly appreciated - just hope I don't end up losing her too. She does eat and drink.
DSCF1330.JPG
DSCF1327.JPGDSCF1328.JPG

DSCF1330.JPG

DSCF1327.JPG

DSCF1328.JPG

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I've used mite off before with good results. I'm far from an expert though but I just wanted to respond to help you out

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
I've used mite off before with good results. I'm far from an expert though but I just wanted to respond to help you out
Thank you for the response - I truly appreciate, any kind of experience is new to me lol. Out of everything you can think of, I've never dealt with mites in my own home setups before.
She is in a hot soak right now, and I'm off to get Mite Off!
Any more ideas would be awesome or just past experience with Mite Off! could be encouraging as well.

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
You need to treat both the lizard and the cage or else she will just become reinfected again.

If you keep other animals, I would get that calote cage out of the room or put it outside. Mites can crawl from cage to cage.

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
You need to treat both the lizard and the cage or else she will just become reinfected again.

If you keep other animals, I would get that calote cage out of the room or put it outside. Mites can crawl from cage to cage.
Treated the lizard with Reptile Spray, as the results seem to do better than Mite Off! on the actual lizard, and the decorations in the tank will first be sprayed down with extremely hot water, and then the whole setup will be treated with Mite Off!. Anyone think this will do it?

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
It might not do it, but it will definatly will help.
They can be difficult to completly get rid off, it may take a few treatments.

Since you already sprayed the lizard, see what happens, thats a pretty lightweight product but it might work. I usually have better sucess drowning them.
Dont just treat the old substrate, replace it.
Put the lizard back in the cage on white paper towels for awhile, you can spot the mites much easier.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
take everything out of the cage. Wipe down the cage a lot of times with the spray, and make sure to be thorough. Throw away substrate, and anything else you dont mind parting with, and Replace it all. If you want to keep the decor, you could put it in a pot of boiling water, or bake it in an oven (keep a close eye on it if you do the oven.)

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
How long should I expect to still see mites after the treatment?
it will likely take a few treatments to get rid of them. Its hard to say since we do not have any grasp of the extent of the infestation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store