How much salt do i put in a 20 gallon

Alfredo05

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2013
new jersey
Im trying to get salinity to 26 but i can only get it to 20 22at most i put alot os salt n it just doest go higheri dont want to over do it and the have to take water out n put fresh water n be stuck again please help

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
It shouldn't be that hard. Plus if your tryin to get it to 26, water is gonna evaporate and kick it over what's safe for fish, I suggest just getting it to 23 which shouldn't be hard

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
For clarification are we talking SALINITY of 26 (measured in ppt - part per thousand) or SPECIFIC GRAVITY of 26 (which is really 1.026) ?

How much to add will vary with the salt mix. Take a reading. Add a scoop, wait an hour and see what it raises. Now you know how many points it came up with a specific amount. Also check the instrument you are using to test it.

OrionGirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2013
Poconos
If you've added salt and the reading hasn't changed, you need to check your testing device. Perhaps it needs to be rinsed in freshwater, or calibrated.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
For clarification are we talking SALINITY of 26 (measured in ppt - part per thousand) or SPECIFIC GRAVITY of 26 (which is really 1.026) ?

How much to add will vary with the salt mix. Take a reading. Add a scoop, wait an hour and see what it raises. Now you know how many points it came up with a specific amount. Also check the instrument you are using to test it.
Yes I think he's talking about specific gravity and I think it would be smarter to shoot for 1.023 instead of 1.026 and in that case usually the box says its half a cup for each gallon and if you followed those steps you'd get to around 1.023.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store