Gt with African cichlids?

mgmt101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando
Will this work? I have 6 African cichlids in a 90 gallon tank. I wanted to add a green terror.
I figured as long as they have there own space and rocks they should be okay. Is this somewhat accurate? This is a question, don't flame me...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
nah never a good idea to mix old world cichlis with new world cichlids

mgmt101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando
I've seen people do it. Basically what I'm asking is if I do it there is a 100 percent chance that it won't work.

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
100%...no back when i didnt know any better i kept 5 african cichlids with an oscar, and it didnt end up to good, the oscar was about 5 inches and the africans about 3 inches, long story short they beat up the oscar badly and i had to get rid of them

mgmt101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando
100%...no back when i didnt know any better i kept 5 african cichlids with an oscar, and it didnt end up to good, the oscar was about 5 inches and the africans about 3 inches, long story short they beat up the oscar badly and i had to get rid of them
Alright thanks
And thanks for not over reacting to the question

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I keep old world and new world cichlids together, and it works. Often they ignore each other.
That said, you must choose wisely, you don't say what species of Africans you have, so it's very hard to judge.
Often, cichlids with similar color patterns, or body types don't work, because they see each other as competition.
As to water chemistry, if your water conditions are neutral, and the species have all been bred in your area, it can work.
I have kept S American Acarichthys heckelli in the same tank as L Tanganyika Lepdiolamprologus elongatus with no problem at all. They are very dissimilar in appearance, I believe this is part of the success.

I also keep Madagascans with S and Central Americans, which also seems to work, they are also very dissimilar in appearance.

One that doesn't work is putting the North American Herichthys carpintus, with the Madagascan Paratilapia,
their similar body type, and iridescent spotting made them enemies from the get go, I had to separate within 10 minutes

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I keep GT with Peacocks and Haps for years, and they are perfect match. GT provides different body shape and color contrast to Africans, yet came from similar water requirements as African and so they mix well. But I don't think GT will do well with Mbuna which are way too aggressive for GT to handle.

IMG_2236.JPG

mgmt101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando
I keep GT with Peacocks and Haps for years, and they are perfect match. GT provides different body shape and color contrast to Africans, yet came from similar water requirements as African and so they mix well. But I don't think GT will do well with Mbuna which are way too aggressive for GT to handle.
Wow I just might get a Gt now lol
And a few Peacocks

Aquaman14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2013
So Cal
Another thing that would work for me when I "used" to mix any and everything is to find out which fish is the most aggressive and always make them the smaller fish in the tank. Though its not 100% and I personally wouldn't mix new & old anymore, I did have good success in doing it that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store