Planning my 240g upgrade..

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I'm starting to plan my 240g upgrade. It will be an acrylic tank with overflows, measuring 72x30x24 (240g wide). I plan on running two FX5's, one for each overflow. Wet Dry's are louder than I care for so I'm going to run the canister filters for now. I know about plumbing the canister to the tanks but what would be the best setup in the overflow itself? My old tank that used a wet dry had durso stand pipes. Would that still be the preferred setup to use with a Canister? Would it be ideal to place the heaters in the overflows?

My stocking list will be:

1x large fire eel
4x green severums
9x clown loaches
9x rainbowfish
2x synodontis decorus
2x rubber lip plecos
1x synodontis hybrid
1x hoplo catfish
1x pictus catfish

The focus of the tank will be the fire eel, severums and clown loaches. The rest are pretty much filler fish. Would two FX5's be suitable for that stock list. I assume so but I just want to make sure.

x HEAVYHITTER x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2012
Michigan
The 2 fx5's should be plenty. I would use a dorso type overflow and put the heaters in the actual overflow like you mentioned. I had to reply the setup your talking about is to similar to mine not to. LOL take a look at the 250 gallon build thread in my sig. I have mine setup this way and a year later the only thing i have changed was the length of the hose and adding a couple of 90 degree elbows to eliminate air bubbles

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
What is the purpose of using overflows if you are using FX5's? I had a drilled tanks and switched to canisters so I didn't have to deal with the plumbing. In my opinion there is no point in using a cainster filter with overflows unless you are using a sump tank to.

elisuwe

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
england, wiltshire
If you are going to get pictus get 3+

Sent from my C6603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I miscalculated the water volume. It's actually a 225g tank. The purpose of the canisters and overflows would be for the silent operation and I already have canisters. The overflows would allow me to use something else later if I decide to do so. I would entertain the idea of using a wet dry if I could find one that truly was quiet, my wet dry that I made was very loud.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I miscalculated the water volume. It's actually a 225g tank. The purpose of the canisters and overflows would be for the silent operation and I already have canisters. The overflows would allow me to use something else later if I decide to do so. I would entertain the idea of using a wet dry if I could find one that truly was quiet, my wet dry that I made was very loud.
Was it the wet/dry or the overflows that was the problem? If all goes well I'm hoping to be in the same perdicament that you are in, hoping to upgrade my 125 in the fall and not sure I can justify the cost of a 180 which will only net 4" increase over my 125 after installing a 3d bg. Any how I've been looking at sumps, wet/dry, and overflows since I never had one and it seems that if its an overflow issue a herbie or beananimal overflow should fix the problem.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I run dual Herbies on my 300 and its totally silent. Moving about 2400 gph and cost a lot less than 2 FX5's to build. Sock changes take about 2 minutes every week and that's it.

My refrigerator is louder than my sump lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
It was the water going in to the wet dry that was loud. I was using a Pondmaster 2400gph pump and it moved so much water that it was a constant loud water movement sound going in to my drip tray. I'm sure part of it was my design but I could hear it 15 feet away over the TV.

I'm unfamiliar with a "Herbie". Care to elaborate?

This was my cheaply done 29g wet / dry for my tank. You can see where the water just pours in to the drip tray, this is where it was loud.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
It was the water going in to the wet dry that was loud. I was using a Pondmaster 2400gph pump and it moved so much water that it was a constant loud water movement sound going in to my drip tray. I'm sure part of it was my design but I could hear it 15 feet away over the TV.

I'm unfamiliar with a "Herbie". Care to elaborate?

This was my cheaply done 29g wet / dry for my tank. You can see where the water just pours in to the drip tray, this is where it was loud.

Yeah I had a sump like that awhile ago and it sounded like a hot tub in my dining room lol.

A Herbie setup accomplishes 2 main objectives. Added safety and no sound from water. Basically instead of running one drain, you run 2 each able to handle the full flow of the tank by them selves. That way if the main drain gets plugged with food, fish, debris etc, the backup drain will take over to handle the entire tank flow.

Mine is detailed in my sig for my 300, but basically you keep the standpipe in the overflow high to minimize falling water noise and the inlet into the sump low to minimize hot-tubbing ( pulling air in the drain line). A gate valve on the drain line dials the water level in so that the standpipe is fully submerged. If no air enters the main drain line you are running at full siphon and the only other place water can make a sound is splashing into the sump. Simply extend the drain line below the water level in the sump and viola.... Silence.

Wet drys by design are pretty noisey but sumps can be pretty stealth if setup right. I move around 2400gph silently in the main living area of my house.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store