comparison of 2 pumps..

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
hey all, i'm setting up a 300 gals deep dimension by marineland.. i have spoken to their tech and he said that the maximum flow rate of the suction pipe going down to the sump is 1400 gph to lessen the noise of the system.. so i have checked out 2 pump with that flow rate up to the 5' mark..both pumps uses same wattage..but at 0' danner has a lower rate compared to oase.. danner rate at 2100gph and oase is 3000gph oase and danners hy-drive.. both cost 50 difference but oase is made in germany but danner i searched is made in USA.. not against USA made goods.. which one would you use and i would like to know whats your suggestion on this.. shall i not listen to the tech and go with an even higher gph pump???
oase: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z3H0IK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3AYIOZD96IFVA
danner http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X0DGEY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A21C4U5X700J66

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I would recommend going with Option C: http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Max-Fl...371173624&sr=8-1&keywords=laguna+max+flo+2000

or D: http://www.amazon.com/Max-Flo-Water...5&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=laguna+max+flo+2400

The Lagunas are more efficient and are a lot less expensive; in my experience they are a high quality pump (made in Italy, whatever that matters).

If you want more flow, you could use the more powerful pump, run both holes in the overflow as drains and run your return up the back of the tank.

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
I had the same tank at one time. I used the herbie method but only used a rio 26hf and koralia powerhead for flow. I had a 55g sump and only uses submerged rings as my media and filter socks fir mechanical filtration. I had a m marble and a 16in f motoro w a black aro. Not the highest turnover rate but i had flow in the tank and enough bio to cover the load and my water was perfect.

Sometimes i wish ppl would think a little more about filtration and setup more rather than slapping the most fx5's or biggest pump on their tanks....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
And that wasnt a dig at the OP, just a statement that a lot can be done w less power and less equipment when things are setup right

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
If it was me setting up that tank and I had only those 2 pumps to choose from I would go with the Danner pump. Havent looked at the specs for your tank or that specific pump. That is going off my experience with Danner pumps. Ran 2 Mag18's on my 300 gallon and 2 4800 Hy-drives on my 600 gallon and never had a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've used Mag drives for years, they are good pumps, and easy to get replacement parts for. Had some 12 years running 24/7
I find I need to place a large sponge under them to lessen vibration noise.

I have just started trying the Laguna's, for their smaller power consumption, and find them less noisy.
They do not have PVC attachment built in which I find a little irritating, and have not had one running long enough to comment on their longevity.

I do like the case surrounding the Laguna, it helps keep chunks of debris from entering the impeller, and is easily hosed off when flow gets impeded.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Danner pumps are reliable, but they are energy hogs: check out the specs below. The Laguna Max Flo gives you nearly the same flow while using less than 50% the amount of electricity. That's a savings of over $100 per year (assuming the national avg of $0.11/KWHr). The kicker is that it's nearly $150 cheaper than the Oase and $90 cheaper than the Danner Supreme. I think going with a Laguna is a no-brainer.

Oase Aquamax 3000 1800GPH @ 6' head 200 Watts $349.00
Supreme Hy Drive 2100 1700GPH @ 6' head 190 Watts $291.93
Laguna Max Flo 2400 1664GPH @ 6' head 84 Watts $199.97

I have been running a Max Flo for almost 2 years and am really happy with it. Very quiet, efficient and so far it's been reliable.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I've had several Laguna pumps and never had an issue with reliability. Not having a pvc connection is mildly irritating, but not the end of the world once set up.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
The smaller models such as the 2400 have threaded click fit adapters that you can use as an easy connection to pvc. They're not available for the 4280 so I had to use hosing and hose clamps to secure it to pvc.

Besides the initial difficulty setting up, they have been reliable pumps.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
I had the same tank at one time. I used the herbie method but only used a rio 26hf and koralia powerhead for flow. I had a 55g sump and only uses submerged rings as my media and filter socks fir mechanical filtration. I had a m marble and a 16in f motoro w a black aro. Not the highest turnover rate but i had flow in the tank and enough bio to cover the load and my water was perfect.

Sometimes i wish ppl would think a little more about filtration and setup more rather than slapping the most fx5's or biggest pump on their tanks....

i am thinking alot there... i haven't said what type of sump filter that's going to be used.. enough said... running a 125gal as a sump for the 300 and the baffels at the lowest point will be 11" so tank is 17" width i think i got enought surface area for my bio load..

I would recommend going with Option C: http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Max-Fl...371173624&sr=8-1&keywords=laguna+max+flo+2000

or D: http://www.amazon.com/Max-Flo-Water...5&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=laguna+max+flo+2400

The Lagunas are more efficient and are a lot less expensive; in my experience they are a high quality pump (made in Italy, whatever that matters).

If you want more flow, you could use the more powerful pump, run both holes in the overflow as drains and run your return up the back of the tank.
Danner pumps are reliable, but they are energy hogs: check out the specs below. The Laguna Max Flo gives you nearly the same flow while using less than 50% the amount of electricity. That's a savings of over $100 per year (assuming the national avg of $0.11/KWHr). The kicker is that it's nearly $150 cheaper than the Oase and $90 cheaper than the Danner Supreme. I think going with a Laguna is a no-brainer.

Oase Aquamax 3000 1800GPH @ 6' head 200 Watts $349.00
Supreme Hy Drive 2100 1700GPH @ 6' head 190 Watts $291.93
Laguna Max Flo 2400 1664GPH @ 6' head 84 Watts $199.97

I have been running a Max Flo for almost 2 years and am really happy with it. Very quiet, efficient and so far it's been reliable.
i just throw in the thought about the oase and danner which i have friends that uses them and recommanded them to me so i look into it.. but will consider all pumps..
my 180 i use 2x eheim 2262s so i do Love eheims but they don't make a pump for the turn over rate for this 300gal..

the more info i gather the more choices i have.. second i always like to have a spare pump or things as a fail back-ups..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store