New cichlid filleted

TinfoilBala

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2013
california
Is it just me or is anyone else tired of buying a cichlid, with equal aggression and size to your current stock.. Only to see them pretty much picked clean.... Lost the new peacock I added last night and my violet goby.. Just needed to vemt

Sent from my SCH-R720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
It's easier to introduce juvenile fish to an established colony than adding big fish. A big fish will be viewed as a threat and will be picked on immediately whereas juveniles pose no threat and can hide better because of the small size. Often time, other juveniles will pick on a new juvenile whereas the big fish will ignore.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Unless the newcomer is a lot larger or so much more agressive I wouldn't add one. At least 3 or 4 at a time is the way to go.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
True, adding 3 to 4 fish at one time will defuse the aggression. But sometime you have no choice but can only add one fish at a time. In that case, if you have more than one tank, you can shuffle fish between tanks to create confusion.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
If you really have to add only one, try removing your rock work and re-scaping your tank. Can disperse aggression. I always add at least 6 at a time or more and rarely have an issue.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store