Sump?

cichlidnick7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
Maryland
I am currently in the process of planning out my 90 gallon tank for my Midas cichlid. I was at first gonna run 2 Marineland 400 on it. But after some thinking and reading I'm considering a sump. Do I need a sump for this tank? Which would be better for the health of the aquarium, the sump? 2 Marineland 400? Or both? And if the sump any advice on setting up the sumpk. I have a 30 gallon I can use if I do go with the sump. Would that be a large enough tank for the sump?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A 30 gal would work.
It does add water volume, but it is not a filter in itself.
It is a place to put a pump, heater, other equipment, and filter media (biological, mechanical etc) to keep those thing out of the main display tank.
I like sumps, because I like to have those things out of view, it also allows me to do maintenance on those things without disturbing the main tank. And when I do water changes, I always add new water to the sump, as opposed to directly in the tank, tempering temperature differences, and in winter, diffusing oxygen super saturated water that might cause gas bubble embolism.
For mechanical filtration I use filter socks hanging on effluent pipes to and in the sump.

The above sump is a 30 gal sump, for a 100 gal tank.
Sumps can be anything that securely holds water, even a half of a barrel

cichlidnick7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
Maryland
Woooow nice build wheatgerm!! And thanks both of you for responding to my post. I have one more question. This is my first real DIY projects so I'm a little nervous about drilling it. I know you need two holes one for in take and one for out take. How did you cut them and what did you use for the means of flow? PVC? Um a beginner at sumps so any info will help me.

creepyoldguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2010
fishbelly
Woooow nice build wheatgerm!! And thanks both of you for responding to my post. I have one more question. This is my first real DIY projects so I'm a little nervous about drilling it. I know you need two holes one for in take and one for out take. How did you cut them and what did you use for the means of flow? PVC? Um a beginner at sumps so any info will help me.
If you do like wheatgerm did and i have alwats done in the past you wont need to drill anything. Just pvc from lowes w ball valves etc and you can leave your tank youre using as a sump untouched. That way uf u ever bresk down your tank youll have an aquarium to reuse. Just get an overflow bix for ur 90 and use hose and pvc to plumb the rest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wheatgerm

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
utah
I drilled my sump so it has a drain.. That way I continuously drip fresh water into the tank and and the sump fills up the drain in the sump drains old water out. But you don't need to do this, I drilled my 90 for the overflow with a diamond bit then I just run my return piping over the top of the tank. But you can get the "overflow kits" as stated above and you won't have to drill

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Overflows are available on line, there are many brands.
And the above posters are correct, there is no need to drill the sump.
You can use PVC or tubing to return water by submersible pump from the sump to the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store