Protein foam

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I have a seven gallon tank I am using to seed some rock and sand until I set up a 55 gallon. There is a little over a pound of live rock in the HOB filter, 5 pounds of sand, about 7 pounds of live rock and 5 pounds of dead rock. These are rough estimates. The tank was set up for a week. No invertebrates were added.

I was looking at protein skimmers online and saw a very simple DIY skimmer, so I decided to try less complex version of it
I took a water bottle, cut the bottom off, connected to the wall using the alage magnet and dropped an airstone in it. I used the blue airstone not the wood diffuser. I came back after a couple of hours and there was tons of foam. This is when I took the video. Now there is even more foam then on the video. I know there is no collection cup and the foam is going back into the water.

1) Is it normal for all this foam to form after a week?
2) If my device is working successfully as a protein skimmer why are protein skimmers over $100 dollars. I could make 20 of these for probley 30 dollars. Thats the cost of the airpump.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

[video=youtube;kNAe2afzsqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=kNAe2afzsqI[/video]

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
[video=youtube;7UA6dqb42zw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UA6dqb42zw[/video]

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
If I was just starting up a new sw tank I wouldn't run a skimmer period. I'd want those proteins to decomp and build/feed my biological filter

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
If I was just starting up a new sw tank I wouldn't run a skimmer period. I'd want those proteins to decomp and build/feed my biological filter
Agreed.

You're probably seeing extra foam from the stuff on your live rock dying off, but that can feed your bacteria as well. Diy skimmers are fine but they won't do the job as efficiently as most store bought ones, and they're tougher to clean usually. Try it once your 55 is up and running though and see what you think. I'd do the wood stone with a 2 liter bottle, probably in the sump.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store