What's the best algae eating fish that can move with monsters and isn't a pleco?

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
I have a 240 and I clean the sides to get rid of algae but I'd like to get a fish that can help eat the algae for me. I have a big datnoid, arowana, and peacock bass in there (all over 12"). I don't want to get a pleco because they poop more than they clean imo. What's a good fish that can help clean the glass and can live with big fish like mine?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Buy an algae magnet to clean the glass and fix what ever imbalance is causing the algae?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
^This! You don't need an algae eater to clean up your glass.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Buy an algae magnet to clean the glass and fix what ever imbalance is causing the algae?
+1 i had an unimaginable algae problem and in about 15 minutes it was all gone with this

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
While it is true that no fish can replace a Mag-Float, you can't use a glass cleaner on driftwood,substrate, or in many cases, the back of the tank. In my experience a Flagtail can out-eat a similarly sized Pleco by quite a bit, without the long stringy poops. There are some cichlids that scrape algae as well, both African and American.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
A few plants will choke out most algae. Amazon sword plants are remarkably hardy, and don't really require any maintenance. A few of them in your tank will probably choke out any algae that you would have, depending on how much lighting you have.

But I agree about Plecos. They really don't clean algae as well as most people think, and most of them don't really even eat algae when they get older.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
While it is true that no fish can replace a Mag-Float, you can't use a glass cleaner on driftwood,substrate, or in many cases, the back of the tank. In my experience a Flagtail can out-eat a similarly sized Pleco by quite a bit, without the long stringy poops. There are some cichlids that scrape algae as well, both African and American.
+1

I can't reach the back of my tank with a magnetic scraper or anything really and my driftwood was covered in an ugly looking algae. I got my flagtail and the next day I couldn't believe what this little guy had done...it looked like a different tank. The algae on the back was 90% gone and my driftwood looked like it had just been powerwashed; these guys put plecos to shame. They are also not bad looking fish. Mine doesn't poop strings like plecos, but he is constantly crapping...he eats a lot of algae and all that has to go somewhere.

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store