to much nitrite is there a quick way right now to lower them and 50% change to much

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
hello to some you will all know my situation. i have a 180 with to many huge fish and adiquite filtration. im dividing all the fish up once the 1500 gal. is complete in a couple weeks after cycling the tank. but all of a sudden i did another 50% water change the other day and they started breathing a little heavy. i was worried all day so i added some aquarium salt to the water as well as my pro Ammonia Blocker that i use with every other change. i have been doing around 50% water changes every week sometimes more and i never have had a problem with the nitrites spiking as they are. i was so shocked in the levels when tested at around 1.0! i ran around and took additional filtration off of all ready running tanks and put them on the 180, changed out more water, and added salt to the tune of 1 table spoon per 10 gallons of water replacing. I checked the levels at 2pm after the change and salt it was at 1.0 still, i checked it at 7 pm still 1.0 checked it this am at 7 and it was still 1.0 im nervous about my fish and am looking for answers. i will do another change tonight unless instructed otherwise but i am really hoping instead of finding a way i can lower them safely without the hour long trip to the fish store tonight. these guys are the biggest and the best of the stock, cant kill em now!! oh and also i was worried that with the additional load in the tank, i had to much matter in the bottom everywhere i was not pythoning every week and moved everything from one side to the other to clean it front to back with not much change in amount of material. :(

please help,

any advice will be great.

frnchjeep

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Ct
Don't know your situation, but it seems you are extremely under filtered in the bio department. If this is going to go on for a few more weeks, my suggestion would be to remove your mechanical filtration and stuff as much bio in there as possible. You will have to vac daily to make up for no mechanical filtration, but you need to get the cycle in check. Also, do you have chloramines in your tap water? Are you using prime? If they were worse after a water change, it sounds like you could have added ammonia to an already stressed system.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
hey great idea but i have well water, i already had that thought and tested the tap strait of from open to after it has run for a few min and there was no ammonia. tell me more about the removing of mechanical filtration? i thought that the more filtration the better by being more area for the good bio to have grown? as for a starter, i have always liked the kents pro ammonia. it protects the fish from so many things that could change and makes tap water safe. i do have some bio safe start left i could try next time now without filtration wouldn't the bad go to worse on hours? or not?

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
To make a dent in your Nitrite issue your going to have to do some larger water changes more frequently. Thats one of the first places to start. If your Nitrite tests at 1.0 and you do a quality 50% water change it may reduce it down to .5 but the issue being the lack of BIO filtration and the load you have is going to escalate it back up quickly. Id also ask what is your temp at? If its highr reduce it down to 79-80 degrees. Nitrite is less toxic at lower temps and the is more oxygen in cooler water. It will also reduce the activity of the fish if the temp is around that level vs higher. Salt wont help against Nitrite. Using something like PRIME or Sealabs SAFE can help detoxify some nitrite. Make sure your water surface has plenty of disturbance across the top so it will help gas exchange and aids in more Oxygen to the fish. Be sure you mechanical filtration is very clean and new. If its overly dirty it will cause issues. Test your tap for Nitrites. Well water or not it may have issues. Then also test your test kit to reference it to be accurate.

Bigger water changes. 75%
Chems that help nitrite toxicity PRIME OR SAFE
Make sure temp is around 80 not higher
Make sure good gas exchange at surface of tank.
Make sure solids are removed from tank and mechanical filtration
Test tap water and calibrate your test kit.

Repeate water changes til under control and one last tip.

Feed less and less often.

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
awesome info thankyou so much i have the temp consistently at 78 and have kept it there sense winter at least. also i have three 18 inch air strips and filtration from a hanger that adds some air as well. i will not worry about the salt as much if it really is not much of a help and i think im going to stay up a while longer and clean the canister filters all out and do a 75% change tonight with my safe start after it. i replaced all the filtration in the hanging one but not the canister. thankyou again im keeping you posted.

frnchjeep

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2006
Ct
The more you clean your filters, the more bio you remove. That's why I recommended replacing your mechanical with bio. Mechanical clogs too quickly and needs to be cleaned. Bio grows on everything. The less you refresh your filters, the more bio you will retain. Water changes won't effect bio.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
awesome info thankyou so much i have the temp consistently at 78 and have kept it there sense winter at least. also i have three 18 inch air strips and filtration from a hanger that adds some air as well. i will not worry about the salt as much if it really is not much of a help and i think im going to stay up a while longer and clean the canister filters all out and do a 75% change tonight with my safe start after it. i replaced all the filtration in the hanging one but not the canister. thankyou again im keeping you posted.

Sounds like a good start to a plan.Be sure to replace any of the old dirty filter pads, sponges, floss and materials. DO NOT rinse or replace any of your bio media like Bio bals, Spheres, Bio tubes etc, etc... Your water temp is good. if the surface of your water has a very nice heavy ripple across it thats great. Make sure all the solid waste is vacuumed out of the tank. Good internal circualtion. Big water change. and use the SAFE. You may need to change the water again a couple more times like that. over the next two days.

BTW. What is the exact filtration you have? How long has the filtration been running on the 180? How often do you do water changes? How much water do you change? How man fish and how large are they? And finally how much and many times do you feed?

These are all big things that can effect various issues to cause problems.

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
yes they are, i have a reaction four that i received with the tank 5 months ago. i have replaced all pads shortly after and just cleaned them all again. when i do water changes i typically change around 50% i do the changes weekly most of the time but sometimes more often. i tend to vac the gravel every 2nd or 3rd time and get rid of the crap. i also was running a 400 gph 90 on it until recently once i set up my ninety in the basement i moved that filter down there. this is where i went wrong i think. this increased demand on the crappy reactor 4 uv filter and as i just found out, plugged it. the filter i just took apart i had to tilt the trays to drain so you can only imagine what it was doing for the water. now i put a 350 gph 70 gallon three layer hanger on it and all new parts in this one but old beads. because i was going to take both filters apart i did the 75% water change as recommended and put everything together and she is running again and full. everyone is looking better however one of the hybrids still breathing a little heavy. its late so im going to leave them alone and test it now then am and see where i am at. hopefully the clean media, the same coat on everything necessary and 75% new water im hoping it will be good to make em feel better in a bit. thanks for all the help we will see in the am and get there pool filled this week to start cycling until then if i have to i will change water every day. oh and tank has two 20" redtails 2 10" redtails and four 5 inch oscars. this is why im going with the 1500 for just the cats and the 180 will be simply oscars.

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
aaaahhhhhhh. .25 not all gone yet but huge improvement of 12 hours ago, will check in the am

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
The more you clean your filters, the more bio you remove. That's why I recommended replacing your mechanical with bio. Mechanical clogs too quickly and needs to be cleaned. Bio grows on everything. The less you refresh your filters, the more bio you will retain.
So how do you go about removing physical waste from your system?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store