240 gallon saltwater tank water movement

jmaur769

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2013
United States
I am looking for the best (and not the most expensive way) to design a saltwater filtration system that circulates enough water to be effective. I looked into korrelia pumps, and even into some larger pumps, but everything seems to be more expensive than i want. I am definitely wiling to put in the money if those are the most effective ways of creating a good water movement in this tank. But i think this idea may be another approach that may be cheaper. So my idea was to put a large return pump, and start with a large diameter PVC (or an equivalent) pipe to be pumped back into this tank. At the place where the piping ends (to deliver the water back into the tank), i want to lower the diameter of the PVC to keep pressure in the pipe to another output. This will be done several times (up to 5 outputs into the tank.) to have five areas that are affected by the water movement. Also, i could add 45's or just basic 90s onto the PVC pipes to change the flow direction to anywhere in the tank. I have attached a drawing of what i would like to do. Does anyone have any thoughts? Will this hypothetically work? I know ill still need to add a few more powerheads, but i hope this design could decrease the amount of heads needed by half.

Also, the dimensions of the actual tank are 8'x2'x2'.

Any thoughts would be great! Any other ideas are appreciated also.

Rough drawing of idea:

Water Pump Design.png

Water Pump Design.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store