Why is my florida gar losing his markings?

yngggru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2013
Philippines
As my gar gets bigger he seems to be losing more and more of his markings. He eats well and is well over a foot in length. He used to be covered with dark spots and lines and now he's getting lighter and lighter. Could this be caused by the set up? I keep him in lightly colored substrate and removed most of the wood and decor because he likes to "rearrange" things. Or could it be caused by lighting (his tank is outside)? Or by food maybe? Heres a pic of him. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1371353497.813433.jpg

7napoleon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2013
United States
I have the same problem before, and I don't know why. By the way, I think gar will get alone with bichir, I had a Florida gar before and now I have a alligator gar, they all very peaceful, never pick on other fish. Actually they even been chase around by oscars and catfishes that smaller than them.

yngggru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2013
Philippines
There are actually 2 senegals in the tank. One is about 10" and the one on the pic is about 7". I recently just moved them to a diff tank because my gar took a bite at one of my 7" sen's pectoral fins. :| But he never touches my 10" sen. My 10" is very active even before but the smaller is kind of a log. Maybe its because its smaller thats why my gar tried to bite him?

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
a bright tank can make the gar go white, gar can blend in to its' environment so this is normal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store