Using pool filter sand for the first time and it's gray?

meggo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
Arizona
First time using pool filter sand as a substrate and the sand is completely gray colored after rinsing it? I expected the sand to be a tan color but it's a gray concrete color. I used Quikrete pool filter sand, is there a brand that doesn't look like that?

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
First time using pool filter sand as a substrate and the sand is completely gray colored after rinsing it? I expected the sand to be a tan color but it's a gray concrete color. I used Quikrete pool filter sand, is there a brand that doesn't look like that?
Any pics? Never heard of this happening before

meggo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
Arizona
Sorry I took so long, here's a pic:

IMG_0078.JPG

It's really ugly, I keep rinsing it and nothing changes.

IMG_0078.JPG

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
I went to leslies pools a local possibly regional store chain. They have multiple grades of sand and from what I have seen they have tan, to black and brown mix as far as colors. I have a stingray with the sand and everything has been fine.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
Don't worry about it. When you have it in your tank and it's under the lights, it will look a light brown color. Mine looked like that too when I bought it and I got mine from Leslie pool supply too.

altumz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
earf
it looks gray like that but under the light it looks like a more natural white. thats how mine look with the homedepot sand. i personally like it better then the really white pool filter sand cuz it looks more natural.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
the first pfs brand I bought from Ace hardware is HTH brand, #20 & is a very nice natural light tan, but the grains are coarse for my geos try to filter through their gills. They have definitely adapted their feeding method & I don't like seeing that.
SO (while out of town) we went to Leslies pool supply & got some. Their bags are labeled Gillibrand #20. the grains are smoother consistent rounded & will be better for geos, but it looks real gray. went to Leslies stores in 2 different towns & there was no variety at either. They told me that sand is ordered out to them by headquarters & they get whatever is sent. The employee sounded like he did not want to bother with an aquarium "color picker" :-I
I don't want to "bring out" the gray in my geos, it's their dullest part.
don't know why some of their stores would have a variety of colors, & others don't. maybe just a hodgepodge of inventory from different shipments?
If you care about color, try a small layer first.

I'll try the new sand in a small tank first. it's a PITA to switch sand out from large tanks, especially my 180G, it's on a high stand & I can baaaarely touch the bottom inside while standing on a stepladder. much easier to dump it in than scoop out.
plus hauling sand is backbreaking to begin with.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
^ One of the easiest methods I've found for taking out old sand is to use a clean broom and dustpan to sweep it all up during a water change. If there's some small amount of sand left over you can use a gravel vacuum to siphon out the rest.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
yeah dustpans are great. one with a longer handle would be even better for me in this tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store