Starting my first Saltwater tank

94redvwjetta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2006
catasauqua PA
I have been keeping freshwater fish for a couple years. I have 5 tanks running and one at my girlfriends house. I am always on ebay and craigslist looking for good deals and snatching up used stuff. I have a bunch of extra's laying around so I am going to give a swing at my first saltwater tank. Its going to be a 30 gallon. Filtration I have for it is a magnum 350 and a whisper 60. The protein skimmer is some generic Jebo one that I got off ebay cheap and local. Now here are my questions/everyones opinion on what to use:

I have no specific brand of Salt picked out yet. Is there any particular one you guys would suggest?

Substrate? If I go with sand will I be able to siphon it and clean it or will it get sucked right up the siphon.

Lighting? Is a standard fluroscent light strip going to be enough for just fish and a few small pieces of live rock only to start.

Fish? I always liked yellow tangs but after doing some research i found out they get to be about 7 inchs. So I was thinking of this line up - damsel, clown, dwarf angel and a mandarin. Would that be ok to go with that and maybe something for algea/cleaners over time.

Please I open for all suggestions and advice anyone may have. I dont know much about saltwater so if there is anything that is different from freshwater let me know..........

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I would recommend getting a protein skimmer. Will drastically reduce nitrates, which is more important in SW tanks.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I like/use Instant Ocean brand salt mix.
Go with the sand, and use aragonite sand for salt water aquariums. Just do a light siphon, some sand will get sucked up but you can rinse it and put it back in your tank.
Normal fluorescent lighting will work fine for your tank.
Good idea to skip the tang for a 30 gal tank. A small one would be ok for awhile, but you would have to upgrade. Skip the manderin too. They require lots of tiny live food. People that keep them with success usually have them in large, established tanks. The clown, damsel, and angel will do good in your tank. Keep an eye on the damsel though as many are mean. Maybe get 2 clowns.
Add snails and small hermits for algae.

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
protein skimmer is a must imo, and as long as it is not a reef tank the standard floresent light will be fine, some clowns would fill that tank up nicely

94redvwjetta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2006
catasauqua PA
thanks guys for the replies.

Could I go with crushed coral with argonite?

So the coraline algea will grow even with just a fluroscent light strip?

Also what's a good diet for saltwater fish?

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
NO MANDARIN, your tank must be sustained for a long time for it to be able ot forage and eat enough food.
Good luck!

clopez21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Cicero, IL
Live rock is not a must but it helps greatly. It will greatly improve water quality. You can usually find someone selling some for a low price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store