Help Need!! My tab water ph is around 10

7napoleon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2013
United States
Need Help!! Urgent.
I use my ph probe to test my tab water, the ph turn out about 9.6-10.
I have use driftwood to decrease ph, and use "ph down" from LFS to prevent ph swinging cause by water changing....... I almost need use 1/3 of whole bottle of PH down to drag down 10 gallons of replacement water ph under 8.
Is there anything I can do?
I have ordered 2 arowana online, and they will arrive tomorrow, I want to give them good living environment.
What should I do?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Where do you live? since this is probably the first time i've heard any one say they have PH 10 out of their tap?

Also, did you calibrate your PH probe before using it? Since although i don't use one personally, i have heard that with things such as PH probes, you must first calibrate them to ensure they are reading the PH correctly...

7napoleon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2013
United States
I live in Kansas, my old apartment's tap water is fine, about 8. I just move to my current apartment(both apartment in Kansas), and I find out the tap water is absolutely ridiculous...

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
Testing water with probes isn't recommend. Its best to use a quality liquid test kit. Even at that as mentioned by homer. You have to calibrate the probes. Even then I'd still use other means to test the water.

Can't say I've heard of to many people with that ph of water. Where does your water source come from? It would have to be from some very horrible source of well water where the table has stuff leaching into it.

And ph chemicals to lower or raise are a bad idea. To many issues with them. There are other ways. Like RO water that's been treated with the correct trace elements and minerals.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

KrazEDesigns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
Canada
That's pretty strange, especially if that is your regular water source. You would be experiencing rashes, and possibly even some minor burns on your own skin with a PH that high; the PH of Clorox bleach is 11.5 for heaven sakes.

Try testing with an API test kit instead

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I assume you have Kansas City, Mo water? Ours comes out at about 9.6 this time of year and drops overnight to about 8. In a few days it will drop to the high 6's. I just have to do lots of small water changes so I don't shock them. If you don't have ammonia it isn't as big of an issue. Just make sure you dechlorinate with Safe or Prime to neutralize the ammonia released from chloramines.

koh the face stealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
Arizona
Jesus Christ with Cheezits! I thought my tap's Ph(8) was high. Should be interesting to find out what works besides the RODI water.

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store