how much filtration I need?? Help

7napoleon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2013
United States
I have a 75 gallon, I run it with 1 Sunsun 303b(rate for 100 gallon) canister, and 2 Sunsun 302(rate for 75 gallon) canister. Media: Sunsun 303b, 3 baskets. 1st one: 1 layers of 1.5 inch thick biosponge. 2nd: 1 layer of 0.5 inch fine sponge, and 1 bag of active carbon. 3rd: 1 layer of 0.5 inch fine sponge, and 1 bag of active carbon. 2 Sunsun 302 have the same media, 3 baskets. 1st one: 1.5 inch thick fine sponge. 2nd: 1.5 inch fine sponge. 3rd: 0.5 inch coarse sponge, and a layer of ceramic rings.

My water is a little cloudy. not bad. But I really want the water crystal clear no matter which way I look at it.

In tank: two 4 inch oscars, one 8 inch florida gar, one 4 inch catfish.

Ninjakiller08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It seems you have sufficient filtration. Remember though, the best way to keep your aquarium water healthy, clean, and clear is by doing appropriate water changes as well as removing the waste (ie. vacuuming gravel). By the way, carbon loses its effect after a month of use and there really is no point of having carbon unless you are removing any medications. You may also want to try and remove some of the mechanical media and replace it with some biological media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store