Freckled gar

LordWookie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Oregon
Was at the lfs and they had a gar labeled as a freckled gar. I tried to look it up on my phone but could not find any information about it. So was just wondering had anyone know more about this fish. Thanks

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
true gar or false gar? idk any gar that goes by that common name.. but i'm guessing one of the falses.

LordWookie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Oregon
No latin name post with it next time i'm there will try to get a picture that would probably help. Spaced it when I was look at him but it was about 10 inches long. Thanks for the input

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
or google gar.. and see what pictures it comes up with should be fairly easy to ID then.. also could look at the sticky at the top of the sub-forum here at the pictures of gar species... if it is a true gar I'de guess its eithr a Florida or alligator gar.... for the false "crocodile gar" is what I'de guess.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
a spotted pike characin(boulengerella maculata), also caller fresh water baracuda, it is not a gar!

LordWookie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Oregon
Thanks very much love my lfs but we all know how thay can be sometimes with naming fish. Look up pictures of the pike and that it. I'm new in the gar and pike arena but think I'm go to go grab him tonight after work from what I read the pike will not be as aggressive. Will but in th 120 bichir tank also have a JD, GT, and indo dat. Would that work ? :)

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Thanks very much love my lfs but we all know how thay can be sometimes with naming fish. Look up pictures of the pike and that it. I'm new in the gar and pike arena but think I'm go to go grab him tonight after work from what I read the pike will not be as aggressive. Will but in th 120 bichir tank also have a JD, GT, and indo dat. Would that work ? :)
I'd expect it to be fine with the bichirs and maybe the dat depending on its personality, but the JD and GT might bully it. I could be wrong but I believe that, like true gars, these guys spook easily and might get injured by territorial cichlids.

LordWookie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Oregon
Only other option right now would be a 150 but I have a silver aro that I'm growing out so I don't think that will qork and don't want to stress either of they. The JD in the 120 is about 4 inches but if there was problem it would be that one. Been really wanting gar or this guy would like body shape but may have to hold off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store