DIY Stand building basics?

Mysphit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2007
Chicago
I'm planning on building a new stand from wood for a 55 gallon tank. approx, width 12 3/4" x height 21" x length 48 1/2" is the size of the tank. The point of the stand is to put a DIY wetdry and overflow on the tank and be able to hide it all behind and under it. Currently I have all my equipment next to the current stand and tank because the stand I bought 7 years ago was stylish... It has no room to hide anything or put anything underneath it. Not to mention all the weight has started to make it weak.

So... my question is where do I begin with the framing? I mean, I do not want to over think this but I also want to make sure that the stand holds it when filled and that I do not over look anything?

Please point me in the right direction.

blue_pill85

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2006
peoria il
basically my suggestion is use wood first and foremost for my 125 stand ill be using 4"x4" posts for legs (6) 1"x4" for framing and a 1" thick sheet ply for the topic only thing is make SURE its rigid if it wiggles you need more supports and on that note remember triangles. corner to corner it all and you should be good to go

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
First :welcome:...ok now...

If your skill levels are above dirt, you can make one, no problem.

With cut list http://www.garf.org/ go to DIY on left list then to stand building, just double check everything yourself, I've heard the cut list is sometimes wrong.

Another input your size w/cut list http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php

Step by step http://www.oscarfish.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=47

Overkil for a 55 http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=13

If you need an excuse for a larger tank http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52927&highlight=stand

There is a start, after you've read those of you have any questions just ask...

Dr Joe

Mysphit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2007
Chicago
Thanks a lot for the info. I am pretty handy but not a pro. Framed a few basements and garages but nothing professionaly. I also know how to make things look clean and sturdy, just didnt know where to start on this project. With all of the DIY projects I've been reading up on here I figured I could do this with a little push in the right direction. I'll post some pics when I get it done.

Thanks again!

Oh, and for a 55 gal tank what is a good size tank to have as a sump / wetdry underneath?
-Mysphit

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
This should be a be a no-brainer for you then. Use treated screws (deck screws) and keep it level. Use a piece of styrofoam (1/2") insulation under the tank to take stress off the tank and level it. (the only problem with this is it comes in a 4'x8' sheet so you have so much left over that you'll have to get more tanks :D ).

Hey, your almost done.

Looking forward to the pix.

If you have any questions, just type...

Dr Joe

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
4x4 posts no doubt. 3/4'' ply on top,3/8 or 1/4 ply on sides. Frame together 4x4s with 2x4s on the inside bottom and top using 3'' to 3 1/2'' deck screws. Should be solid after this, then screw top piece on ,furthur solidifying structure. Then attach thin ply to the back and 2 sides with some 1 1/2 to 2'' deck or drywall screws at 2'' apart, these act as ''shear panels'' even furthur strengthening stand much as they do in building construction. Leave front open to design an entry system,then maybe wrap stand with a thin layer of finish ply(I used 3/8'' oak ply) and stain to desired color. Might sound like overkillbut were talking about like 700 lbsof liquid weight, better safe than sorry!!

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
robmcd;685959; said:
4x4 posts no doubt. 3/4'' ply on top,3/8 or 1/4 ply on sides. Frame together 4x4s with 2x4s on the inside bottom and top using 3'' to 3 1/2'' deck screws. Should be solid after this, then screw top piece on ,furthur solidifying structure. Then attach thin ply to the back and 2 sides with some 1 1/2 to 2'' deck or drywall screws at 2'' apart, these act as ''shear panels'' even furthur strengthening stand much as they do in building construction. Leave front open to design an entry system,then maybe wrap stand with a thin layer of finish ply(I used 3/8'' oak ply) and stain to desired color. Might sound like overkillbut were talking about like 700 lbsof liquid weight, better safe than sorry!!

?) Aren't 1.5"-2" screws a little over-kill for 1/4" plywood, your going to start degrading the rigidity of the 2x4's especially if you don't stagger the line of screws. 3/4" will give all the support needed here.

And just to split hairs...470lbs of water - 560lbs with tank (roughly). :D

The sumps weight doesn't really come into play since it it so low to the floor and double 2x4 legs aren't going to buckle at 4" long w/165lbs of water.

Dr Joe

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Thanks doc, my bad. Good points.

WackyDan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Mathews, NC
4x4's for supporting a 55? What the holy heck are you guys smoking!!:headbang2

2x4's are overkill if you know what you are doing. Hell they are overkill for a 120.

2x4's are however good for anyone who doesn't have the investment in tools or the experience in wood working -

On the screws, don't go crazy... extra screws does not make for stronger joints, rather just the opposite - they weaken them.

prophets

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
USA
Go easy on the screws, just at key points and use wood glue, like liquid nails and you should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store