carbon in filter makes the water cleaner?

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
I got my 2 fluvals 306 filter about 6 months ago and when the carbon was new I feel like my water was sparkly. now that my carbon is several months old I feel that my waters not as clear, I fully cleaned my filter yesterday with the exception of the bio and I find that the water is not how it should be. should I get new carbon and if so what would u recommend? thanks mfk peeps!

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
Don't use carbon unless your removing meds from your tank. I would keep the bio foam in the bottoms trays and fill the rest with biomax. The carbon is only good for about a month.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Carbon will definitely make your water sparkle. But there is no need for it unless you are removing meds, or want your water to sparkle. It gets expensive to replace something that is not necessary 99.999999% of the time.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
once the carbon is maxed out, it leeches the pollutants back into your tank water.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Carbon is excellent at removing things from the water, but unfortunately it isn't very selective as to what it removes. Pretty much everything including trace elements and a fair amount of 02 if overused. Plenty of links to HTH with larger fish and carbon use and inferior types will leech things back into the aquarium

Purigen is a much better alternative to carbon. Pretty much lasts forever as its rechargeable and has negligible impact on trace elements. Add this or some micro filtration pads somewhere in your system and you shouldn't need the carbon to keep clear water.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I agree with the guys that say you do not need carbon in your tank. because if you do not change It like every six weeks it does the opposite of what you want.

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
once the carbon is maxed out, it leeches the pollutants back into your tank water.
That is not completely true.

When carbon is maxed out it leeches the pollutants howevever as it leeches some of them, such pollutants leave space to be occupied back, then carbon gets able to grab those pollutans again producing then a "dynamic balance" in which the substances carbor leeches are grabbed back and this goes on and on, carbon does not lose its properies only gets maxed out but never leeches all the pollutants due t this "dunamic balance".

I hope i have made myself clear enough.

Cheers.

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
If you do use carbon, I find it best to use with an HOB because you can actually replace it when you need to. Breaking open a canister is not something I personally would want to do every month or so.

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
If you do use carbon, I find it best to use with an HOB because you can actually replace it when you need to. Breaking open a canister is not something I personally would want to do every month or so.
omg tell me about I crack both mine open every like 5 or 6 weeks and I hate it. it smells discusting. it just flat out sucks man worse part about owning a tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store