something of interst with black aros

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
I have been noticing a difference in tail trim colors. Some have yellow and others have bright orange. I have personally had both. I am wondering if collection points and tank perams may play a part of this. Let see if there are differences in them and as they are adults. Please post your 5-7" black aros and then them as adults. Also your tank perams. I am wondering how they may differ as adults from each other.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
My ~5" black aro has orange on his trim. He came from jojo but I don't know collection point.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I have a three foot black aro he is in a 420 gallon tank it still has orange on the fins and scales I feed him cold water krill and Tilapia fillets that I cut into long slices and then cross cut into smaller pieces. I think the krill is what gives it such nice color

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
I have a three foot black aro he is in a 420 gallon tank it still has orange on the fins and scales I feed him cold water krill and Tilapia fillets that I cut into long slices and then cross cut into smaller pieces. I think the krill is what gives it such nice color
Do you have pics of it when it was 5"? Also current pics? Long term perams?

Knh what are the perams of the tank it is in?

I am personally conducting an experiment with crushed coral for pH stability and peat moss. I have noticed with the addition of the peat all my rays and aros have increased activity along with my l239. Also my black phantom females have become super gravid over night. I will be maintaining a tannic system to see how colors go. I will post a current vid with light tannins and continue to add vids as I increase tannin level. I'll also post a vid of my old black that had yellow fins. Unfortunately it died of a stomach issue caused by bad meds.

My current ones came from Peru and have orange fins. The yellow one came out of Columbia.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Hmm. I wonder if this could possibly be a sign of sexual dimorphism?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Hmm. I wonder if this could possibly be a sign of sexual dimorphism?

I doubt it is. It is a possibility though. I think that jaw structure has more to do with sexing aros then anything. As the males would need a larger mouth to hold all the fry. I am lening more on collection diversity. Since most of the black aros fry that come in each year could very well be from the same river sections year to year. Just rotating sections for the bulk that come in.

Do black aros get more aggressive when they get bigger and older?
They go through a phase like silvers, but not as aggressive. Silvers can be outright mean when in their "teen age" sizes. Black tent to be more laid back all around over silvers and other aros.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
My old perams were the same as my new perams. The pH was a little lower at 7.1. My new aros were in 7.6 until I added the peat. I have to get a new test kit to see where they are at now.

Did you see that post I did for you about peat over in stingrays?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Did you see that post I did for you about peat over in stingrays?

Yes I did see it. I'll be going that route for adding more to the system. Found a fantastic stump at the river today while checking out a spot to take the kids fishing at. I think if I get any mopani to go along with the peat it will just be in the sump. I like the local drift wood selection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store