Secondary Filters

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
How do you determine secondary filters on a tank. I am running a FX5 on a 75 gal with a 10in rhom. It is plenty of filtration, but I was thinking of getting an aquaclear and stuffing it full of different pads for pure mechanical filtration. My fx5 only has the sponges and biomax, no pads (I had a post asking about these also). Instead of dealing with constantly opening the FX5 to clean pads I figured an aquaclear could be a better solution. Just curious if I can go with a small model (the 30) seeing its not the primary filter instead of doubling the cost and getting an AC110.

Thoughts?

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
I like using 2 big filters when I can as redundancy, as a safety, and to slow down my cleaning intervals. I would add the AC110 because if the FX5 bites the bucket you will have an effective backup. I always stay way up on my WC so the added dissolved organics aren't as much of a problem with the filter cleanings.

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
An Fx5 is too much filtration power for an 75 gal, IMHO you dont need anything else, nevertheless I also like filters and if it were me I would put an Aquaclear 110 or an Emperor 400, any of them are some pieces of equipment however non of them are needed if youre already running and FX5, you would only be unnecessarily consuming more power and thats' it.

Cheers.

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
An Fx5 is too much filtration power for an 75 gal, IMHO you dont need anything else, nevertheless I also like filters and if it were me I would put an Aquaclear 110 or an Emperor 400, any of them are some pieces of equipment however non of them are needed if youre already running and FX5, you would only be unnecessarily consuming more power and thats' it.

Cheers.
You know you're on MFK right? This is a website of overkill and giants

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
If you want a backup filter for a 75 you might be better served trying an aqueon 55/75.....a lot cheaper than an ac110 (the smaller ac's wont fit the rim) the aqueon moves a LOT of water and works as a fine mechanical filter:)

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
If you want a backup filter for a 75 you might be better served trying an aqueon 55/75.....a lot cheaper than an ac110 (the smaller ac's wont fit the rim) the aqueon moves a LOT of water and works as a fine mechanical filter:)
Aquean quietflow u mean? Arent they cartridge filters????

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Thanks for the replies everyone. Just did 50% water change on my tank and scrubbed the glass and the water is looking crystal clear. I think the issue is more around the gunk that sits on the glass and builds up over a week to 2 weeks. I posted another thread about it and it was questionable as to whether its some sort of bio or just a type of algae. I will stick to cleaning the glass during my weekly water changes and if i still need something I will look into the aqueon.

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Good thought process. Extra mechanical is never a bad thing as long as the pads get cleaned/replaced frequently.

The finer pads in an HOB like the aquaclear will help with catching the finer waste resulting in clearer water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store