hand feeding florida gars...

Snackx

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2013
New Jerzy
hi guys..ever since my i got my gar hes avoided the pellets when feeding time comes around..now it seems like he wants to be a big baby and be hand fed...smh..ive been feeding him frozen strips of beef and shirmp..every morning he wont eat unless its live food..how can i wee him away from live food and have him eat the pellets..is there anything else i can give him besides the pellets that he may like..i havent gotten nipped from his jaws yet but hes getting closer..now he has another friend in the tank (another gar)..which seems like he told him to sit tight cause well be hand fed..smh 3x..any advice is appreciated..thanks!!

BigFinn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
America
I wouldn't hand feed them at all lol that would be a bad bite. But try starving them and they should start to take them. I wouldn't go any longer then 2/3 weeks but even if they just eat one that doesn't mean go back and give in. As soon as u notice that they eat one that means they are just being stubborn and will eventually willingly accept them.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Moved to gars.

I'd be leery about hand feeding something as toothy as a gar. Those teeth are SHARP.

Gar are inclined to feed from the surface, though that behavior is most certainly not obligate. It shouldnt be very hard to break him with a little persistence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
I hand feed my floridas without any problems. They are very gentle once they know the system. BUT a cuban or alligaotr gar on the other hand is very aggressive. My cuban has bit my fingers so many times I think he enjoys the taste of my blood. The difference between the Florida's and Cubans is shocking. The Floridas will pick the food out of my open palm,the cuban will just ignore the food and go straight for the palm itself.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I hand feed my gars all the time, if you scared just use a feeding tong.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
feeding tongs ect.. but most floridas are lazy once they hit the end of the first yoy... about 12" or so.. I wouldn't feed them beef.. but fish.. diversity is always best imo. since you have 2 a good strat imo would be to toss a few floating pellets or freeze dried krill at the top then hand-feed.... between the 2 fish they are going to start taking from the top as well as what your offering by hand. Maybe add the pellets ect while your cutting up the fish ect to feed so they have a few minutes w/ the floating food. I sometimes hand-feed my 24" trop... lemme say that makes your underpants squidgy sometimes when she smacks a piece. I float it and when she comes up for it I let it go and pull back as it hits her snout.. and she whacks it.... no way would I be holding onto the other end when she smacks it... bad bad habit... but was only way I could get her to eat at first, was to literally drop food on her nose... now she'll eat anything that hits the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store