Feeding Froaen Smelt OK for Dats?

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Attn: Mods - Please change the title for my mispelled word frozen. Thank you.

Sizes 2.5"-13" Indos.

Feeding 4" cut up frozen smelt ok as a supplement for datnoids? Only ask as smelt has a higher nutritional content than frozen tilapia and market shrimp, and super cheap. While sodium is slightly higher than shrimp but equivalent to tilapia.

Objective: To grow them out faster than my usual staple of cut up tilapia, shrimp, and pellets that some will take. So, a possible good grow out food source?

Serving Size 4 oz (112g)
Amount per serving size:
Calories 100fat Calories 20
Daily Value : Total Fat 3g 4%, Sat Fat 0%, Trans Fat 0g, Choleserol 80mg 27% , Sodium 70mg 27%. Carbohydrate 0g, Protein 20g, Vitamin A 2%, Calcium 8%, Iron 6%

Concern: The spinal cord on smelt is thick and can be removed pretty easily. I believe it is ok to leave it in when cut up but kinda a hard material. What is left is the small thin bones on the side of the fillet which gets cut up small tiny pieces to 1 inch. I know in the wild, whole fish is consumed regularly and digested. But just don't want to put my fish at risk on captive bred with this new change. Especially, they only have been consuming soft boneless flesh and pellets there whole life.

Questions:
- So, will these small bones cause any issues?
- Good food source?
- Any testimonials from people that have done this with small baby dats and larger ones? Thanks!

pURPLEcHILLIrED123

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2009
Earth
I use to feed all my fish smelt and shrimp but I got them all on pellets... easier to feed, just grab a handful and call it a day. I feed the smelt and shrimp whole and not cut up. Mostly feed smelt 5 times a week for over 2 years.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks for the response. I work for a fish/seafood co. and literally can get anything to try. I'm considering fresh sushi grade tuna mainly for the fat content as a treat.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Its not if the tiger will eat it
Its what the food will do to your water at the end of the day

WE DON'T KEEP FISH WE KEEP WATER
bad water = dead fish

I find as sea water food fish to be oily or you get tiny shinny fish scale that drop off if a few chews them or spits them out

I know people who have fed dog food to a red tail cat and it loved it but his water was rubbish

If you want your fish to grow fast pellets is the best way to go

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I do agree with you T1KARMANN. Saltwater based fish do leave a little more mess. My primary emphasis is to supplement the diet. Not a take over of sorts. I change 40-45% twice a week every Wed. and Sat./Sunday. So, I'm not too concerned about the mess. Pellets and cut up tilapia are the primary w/market shrimp is supplement twice a week. Shrimp is messy like a slight cloud if cut up in small pieces.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Testimonials from smelt users are great. Frozen does not leave anymore mess than tilapia from my recent experience. So a plus!

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I tried smelt with a group of indos I used to have. Out of 6 indos, only my alpha would eat them. The others were hooked on tilapia with pellets. He grew huge on them. He would eat 2 to 3 6inch smelt a day. This indo would still be in my tank and would be 20+ inch if I didn't have to sell due to my ST trying to kill it 1 day. I think if your dat eats them, take advantage and give your dats them whether your using for supplementing or staple. It's more work, but feeding nasty, smelly smelt or other whole fish can payoff if you get them hooked

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I may try some on my NGT that I've finally broken off of feeders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store