FX5 Filter Media Suggestions

looksrshady

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2008
Queens,NY
Can i have some advice on how to properly stock my fx5 trays.
I have the 6 outer blocks,scrubbies,biomax,bioballs,matrix and floss.Any tips on which to use and what order would be best for optimal filtration?
I just broke down my tank and filter and want to change things up and start over.I was using just the foam blocks and scrubbies before the tear down.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I use the standard outer blocks on the outside. On the inside I use two of these blue pads, 1L of Seachem Matrix and 2L of Seachem Pond Matrix. The two types of Matrix's are divided up between the bottom two trays. You want the blue pads / floss in the top tray, your bio goes in the bottom one or two trays.

The top blue pad catches a lot, the second blue bad catches just a little. I rinse the 2nd one and dispose of the top one during maintenance.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
O use the foam blocks on the outside, the big fluval prefilter ceramic on top shelf the middle is a blue filter topping some seachem purigen and a polishing pad on top of as much matrix as I can fit in the try on the bottom. That polishing pad looks like mud every time I change it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
I run 2 FX5s on my 220, I would highly recommend not using the filter pads as they will reduce the flow rate in no time, and cause microbubbles from clogging. The best setup I have found for maximum flow and clarity is just running bio media; one is stocked with all Biomax, the other is stocked with all Seachem Matrix, with the stock outer foam and the water is always crystal clear, even when I get lazy with filter cleaning.

The_Bean_Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
Australia
I run 2 FX5s on my 220, I would highly recommend not using the filter pads as they will reduce the flow rate in no time, and cause microbubbles from clogging. The best setup I have found for maximum flow and clarity is just running bio media; one is stocked with all Biomax, the other is stocked with all Seachem Matrix, with the stock outer foam and the water is always crystal clear, even when I get lazy with filter cleaning.
How would that work if I wanted to run Purigen and MatrixCarbon in the middle tray?

Source310

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Phoenix az
I recommend having two filters as well but not two fx5's. Fill the fx with bio media and take advantage of the backwash feature. Get another filter for mechanical that is easy to service. Fx5's are a pain in the butt to service imo.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
How would that work if I wanted to run Purigen and MatrixCarbon in the middle tray?
Just use a media bag for any fine media; but you really, don't need any of that stuff, unless your water out of the tap isn't that good.

Fx5's are a pain in the butt to service imo.
They are quite simple, I normally do both at the same

The_Bean_Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
Australia
Of course.
Ok cool I picked up my FX5 second hand around 7 months old. The way it stands at the moment I have a blue pad and plastic bio-balls in the top tray, in the second tray I have Purigen and MatrixCarbon, and in the bottom tray I reckon there is only about 500g of BioMax.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store