sump - wide vs tall?

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
I'd go with opinion 2. Easier to work with a shorter sump. It is hard to clean my 4x2x2 sump, I only have 31" clearance and the sump with trim is 25.5".

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
in general I'd agree with Oughtsix. but from what you've said, I don't think it matters other than chizzle's point. whichever will be easier for you to work on.
with poret coming in 19.5"x13" sections it will fit in with minimal trimming either way.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
12" height doesn't give you much room for the water level to fluctuate when your pump switches on/off, and for that reason in your case I'd go with the taller tank.

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
Thanks guys. I decided to just get the best of both and picked up a 40g breeder instead :)

It fits in the stand with plenty of clearance so shouldn't be too hard to work on.

I'm planning on running it at about the same water level that I would have had in the 30g breeder, but this way I have a little more buffer height to reduce the risk of flooding in the event of water level fluctuations.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Good move!!

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I'm planning on running it at about the same water level that I would have had in the 30g breeder, but this way I have a little more buffer height to reduce the risk of flooding in the event of water level fluctuations.
easy enough to set it up so it will never flood, and much better than reducing the risk of a setup that will. my sump is 12" high, and will only flood if the roof gets ripped off my house, the canopy and glass tops get blown off and it rains into my tank.
at that point, I think an overflowing sump will be low on my urgent problem list.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store