Aquarium power consumption

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
I picked up a Kill-A-Watt electricity reader recently because our energy bill is pretty high. Found out my one tank is responsible for almost 40% of our total energy bill each month. My tank is costing me $35.34 a month right now (in June). It's got to be higher when the house is colder in the winter. Our total bill this last month was $96.xx, and that's with an electric stove, electric water heater, electric washer and dryer, electric air conditioning etc. Absurd. I pay less than most in the USA for electricity as well, .10129 per KWH.

The vast majority of the cost is heating the tank. Tank has a volume of ~250 gallons, and is heated by (3) 300 watt heaters. My LED lights draw 45 watts for 6 hours a day (.82 a month) and my pump draws 130 watts 24 hours a day (9.48 a month). That means I'm paying $25.04 a month just to heat my tank. I'm heating my tank to ~77 degrees while the house is consistently 68-73.

Anyone else actually track the cost per month to run a tank? I'm wondering if the heaters I bought are not very efficient. I've run Eheim Jager in the past, but the 19" length is too long to fit them into my 16" wide sump so now I'm running Hydor and I don't recall having such a high energy cost before (though I didn't track it). My next experiment will be to pull them out and run my Eheim Jager in the tank and see if there's a difference. After that I'll be insulating the entire sump and the bottom and back of the tank.

I'd be interested in hearing how other peoples power consumption compares to mine.

Oh yeah, if you'd like to calculate your power usage you take the watts per hour x the hours used per day / 1000 (to get KWH usage per day) x how much you're charged per KWH by your electricity company (I pay an Energy Use Charge of 6.77800¢, Transmission Charge of 0.23500¢, and a Distribution Charge of 3.11600¢ per KWH for a total of 10.129 cents per KWH).

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I track my costs too. Winter is brutal for my power bill. I run six 300W Eheim Jagers (total of 1,800 watts) and in the coldest winter months (January and February) they consume as much as 300KWHrs/month. My pump draws 160 watts = ~115 KWHrs/month. I have a skylight over my tank, so I typically only turn the light on when I have company over or in the evening sometimes. I'm on a tiered system, so the cost to run all this varies depending on how much power I'm consuming on all other items in my household, but my highest tier is currently $0.34/KWHr...which is where I typically find myself in the winter months. :irked:

I don't think you'll see much change with trying different types of heaters. Energy is flowing through the heating coil and essentially 100% of that energy is going into the water. Your best bet is insulating the tank to keep the heat in. Lids are the best place to start and insulating the sides of your tank will also help a lot.

You can probably find a more efficient pump, but that will only save you a few bucks per month; your pump, at 130 watts doesn't use all that much juice. If you went with a Laguna Max Flo 2400, the current models draw 84 watts and do 1,664 @ 6' head- using this pump would only lower your bill by about 33KWHrs per month which translates into saving about $3.35 per month.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who geeks out with a Kill-o-watt.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
on my old 500g i ran 1600w heaters, 272w pump, 40w lights and a few other misc and it cist me about 30 a month to run but nh also has very low electricity cost. ive noticed a big difference in what the tank is made from because acrylic actually insulates pretty well and i noticed my heaters kicked on much less often in the acrylic tank than my glass ones

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I have to get one of these.... or maybe i don't LOL

I agree about the heater. It transfers electricity directly to the water, except for the little indicator light saying the heater is on, all the electricity turns into heat. Insolation is key. You can also lower the heat slightly. My fish are fine at 75 degrees all winter.

You could use submersible pumps. Pumps give off heat when running at least a submersible pump would transfer the heat to the water.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Simple physics says that it is going to take X kilowatts of energy to heat Y litres of water to Z temperature regardless of how that energy is provided, so I doubt you'll gain anything by changing heaters.

What will save you money is insulating your tank. Have a look at this Aquarium Heat Loss Calculator one of the guys on our local forum made; http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48031

By adding 30mm polystyrene to the back panel and 20mm to the sides of my 2000L glass tank (based on 27C water and 23C air temps) I can reduce the heating bill from 155.8kwh/NZ$38.97 per month to 95.5kwh/NZ$23.89. Depending on your lighting set up or hood design you may also be able to make it even more efficient by insulating the top of the aquarium.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
heating tankks is the main cost,I think.... and insulation is the key.... fitted tops... and styro on any sides you can stomach not seeing your fish from (back or a side thats close to a wall...), good luck:)

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Working backwards, your 3 heaters run on average 9.16 hours per day. (typically, one might be on a lot, while the others make up the remaining time.)

$25.04/.10129*1000=247,211 WH per month
30*24=720 hours per month
3x300=900 watts max heater usage possible
720*900=648,000 max usage possible
247,211/648,000= 38.1% actual usage
24*.381=9.16 hours per day

Most heat is lost (iirc) from evaporation, so the top of the tank, HOB, over flows and sumps are prime targets.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
It's a glass tank with a glass sump. It's true that acrylic insulates pretty well compared to glass. The tank is covered with glass tops very well, but the sump is open. The sump will get fully insulated and covered. I can definitely insulate the bottom and back of the tank. Sides I can probably do as they're painted black, I've just got to use thinner polystyrene and paint it black. I can do parts of the top but not all due to the lighting and pothos growing out of the corners. We'll see how much that can drop my consumption.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store