Can dwarf seahorses live off of tisby pods?

oc435

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
lincolnshire, IL
a few questions:
  1. 2 dwarfs in 2 gallon nano cube?
  2. too hard to keep a 2 gallon?
  3. do i need anything accept the things that come with the tank?
  4. can they live off of only live tisby pods?
  5. what is the best way to breed tisby pods? (I have a biocube 29 that will be a reef tank with a fuge, so could i keep them in their or should they have their own 5 or 10 gal tank?)
Thanks in advance everyone!:D

oc435

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
lincolnshire, IL
Why won't anyone reply? I have posted many threads that have not gotten a single response, but plenty of people have viewed them. This forum is the least useful source i have for research. "Fun" fact: out of all ten of my threads, i have only gotten 23 replies, most of which were not helpful at all.:mad: I am very unimpressed.

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
:chillpill: someone will help you out sooner or later and insted of getting mad, just bump the thread so people can see it

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
2 gal is definitely too small for sea horses. They're extremely sensitive and too much can happen in a 2gal. I wouldn't try anything smaller than a 10.
I don't really know what tisby pods are but its probably better to switch things up like give them the pods, brine shrimp enriched with spirulina, mysis shrimp, etc.
I have no clue how to breed sea horses but if you want to in your 29, it all depends on the type of reef it is. Are there sps in it which require extremely high flow or is it primarily softies with light/medium flow? Remember, sea horses are not strong swimmers and need extremely low flow.
I apologize if I couldn't really answer all your questions because I've never personally kept sea horses but I used to work at an lfs and one of my coworkers was in love with them and taught me some stuff.
As with people not responding, they usually won't respond if they don't know the answer. You just have to wait till the right person stumbles upon your thread. I had a sick fish once and nobody knew what the fish had and none of the suggestions they gave me were working and what happened to work was a wild guess of what my lfs told me to try out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oc435

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
lincolnshire, IL
thank you everybody! i guess i was just getting desperate for someone to answer me. sorry. Aw3s0m3, i was not planing on breeding the seahorses, but rather the tisby pods in the refugium of the biocube. the tank would have only softies though. as for the tank size, i know that two or three of the dwarf seahorses can be kept in two gallons, but i was woundering if a nano cube would work for this, or if it would be two hot and if they would not do well because of their not being a protein skimmer. thanks everyone! looks like i might be able to get these amazing creatures after all!

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
thank you everybody! i guess i was just getting desperate for someone to answer me. sorry. Aw3s0m3, i was not planing on breeding the seahorses, but rather the tisby pods in the refugium of the biocube. the tank would have only softies though. as for the tank size, i know that two or three of the dwarf seahorses can be kept in two gallons, but i was woundering if a nano cube would work for this, or if it would be two hot and if they would not do well because of their not being a protein skimmer. thanks everyone! looks like i might be able to get these amazing creatures after all!
I only said no to the 2g cuz of how sensitive the fish are and how fast everything fluctuates in such a small tank. A nano cube should be fine for them as long as flow isn't too crazy and as long as you keep up on water changes, you don't really need a skimmer for them. My 14g reef and 55g fowlr are skimmerless and I haven't had any problems yet and both those tanks have been running well over 5 years. With the pods, you might have to keep restocking them if that's going to be the only food source because even though the fish are small, they'll eat a lot. It's best to get them onto prepared foods.

oc435

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
lincolnshire, IL
do you recommend i go with a 14 gal. biocube, and put something like a pair of H. Fuscus in? i thought that all seahorses should have protein skimmers though, because of them having skin instead of scales. also will the temp. in the biocube get to high, because they need around 74F. thanks!

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
do you recommend i go with a 14 gal. biocube, and put something like a pair of H. Fuscus in? i thought that all seahorses should have protein skimmers though, because of them having skin instead of scales. also will the temp. in the biocube get to high, because they need around 74F. thanks!
That should be fine. I have an angler in my 14g and he's doing fine. Just keep up on water changes. With the heat. It really depends on where you live cuz I have to have a heater on mine to keep the temps up cuz my apartment gets cold

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store