Fine white river sand?

Ninjakiller08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
A lot of people like pool filtration sand. It seems to work very well and do the job correctly but I was just wondering if fine white river sand was also another good choice? Is it too light that it may go up my filter intake? I am just scared of the fact that pool filter chance is larger grained and it seems to me that quite a bit of debris has a good chance of getting under it? correct me if I am wrong.

Ninjakiller08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Also if small fish are planned to be house, like say tetras, that would mean their waste would be small, would the waste all get under pool filter sand just because it is small?

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
naw, you're wrong ;-) nothing gets under pfs. it's not like larger gravel.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I first had really fine off-white sand. it required more attention to being turned by me, or else in the deeper parts, whole areas would turn dark underneath/inside. I worried about bacteria.
pfs is better.

Ninjakiller08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I first had really fine off-white sand. it required more attention to being turned by me, or else in the deeper parts, whole areas would turn dark underneath/inside. I worried about bacteria.
pfs is better.
If you don't stir sand, and it eventually gets very brown/dark color, can you stir it a couple times to get it back to regular colors? Also my gravel right now has been going on for many years and has brown stuff in the crevices of the larger grains, (not in between eachother but in the cracks of a grain) will this happen to pfs?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Also if small fish are planned to be house, like say tetras, that would mean their waste would be small, would the waste all get under pool filter sand just because it is small?
Most fish waste is excreted from the gills (not as urine or feces.) Besides, during water changes the substrate can be vacuumed so what has not already broken down or been sucked up by the filter can be siphoned out.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Most fish waste is excreted from the gills (not as urine or feces.) Besides, during water changes the substrate can be vacuumed so what has not already broken down or been sucked up by the filter can be siphoned out.
Then you have not had a lungfish. Vertually no gills and huge turds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Then you have not had a lungfish. Vertually no gills and huge turds.

Okay! :footinmou I stand corrected.

I'm sure there are exceptions (probably many) and no, unfortunately, I have not yet had the pleasure of owning a lungfish.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Okay! :footinmou I stand corrected.

I'm sure there are exceptions (probably many) and no, unfortunately, I have not yet had the pleasure of owning a lungfish.
Haha you need a pooper scooper for those turds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store