Glass residue? Nothing has worked

TheBigB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
North Texas
After completing my 400 build I noticed a residue on the glass. I’m not sure what it’s from but I don’t remember seeing it when I started. Maybe I didn’t look close enough, b/c the glass was used from an old tank. I have been trying to clean it for a while now but I can't seem to get it clean. What can I use to clear the glass up. I've tried scraping it with razor blades, using apple cider vinegar, stronger industrial cleaners, but nothing has worked. Is there a way I can buff it out?

Any advice? Thanks

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
Try car cleaner wax. Do a little circle spot to test and see if it works. It won't harm your glass either. Does the residue seem like hard water stains?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheBigB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
North Texas
Try car cleaner wax. Do a little circle spot to test and see if it works. It won't harm your glass either. Does the residue seem like hard water stains?

It is very possible that they could be hard water stains. I'm not really sure, I dont see how I would have missed it when I was building it but I guess I did...

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
Might be hard but take a pic. If it is cloudy hazy and hard to see through then it could be. I used an abrasive paste cleaner but this has worked for others in the past.
uploadfromtaptalk1372185304088.jpg

zukiGS500

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Mke
Is it on the inside or outside of the glass? If it's on the inside it usually disappears when you fill it with water.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
never used cider vinegar always used white vinegar... might be worth a shot.

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
Someone posted about making a salt paste a while back that they said works great. I can't seem to find the post tho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
Hopefully it is not etched from someone trying to clean it with acid. Weird that it's on the outside but try the rubbing compound it should work and if not you can clean your car with it ;)

domingos.44

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
cambridge on
I have the same problem except its on the inside and only the top 1/4 of the tank because they guy I bought it from always kept the water low and I've tried everything and can't get it off I'll try the car wax but it doesn't sound fish friendly ???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store