Sump question

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372188681.001646.jpg

Have this amiracle sump I want to put on a 54 gallon corner tank..it was used for salt and since I've never set up a sump, I'm wondering what to use for media...should I load the first opening with mechanical and keep the bio balls in the middle? The pumps obviously in the last one but can I put anything in the chamber with it? Advice is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
You could make the first chamber for mechanical. You could do something like Sock filtration or you could add a divider baffle wall and do some other form of media be it sponge or even pad material. I assume the unit has a drip tray over the bi balls? didnt see one in the picture. But yes you can use the bio balls with no issues. In a salt water set up the first chamber was used for a skimmer then Bio and then sump for the pump. I just built a larger filter for one of my 125g tanks out of a 55 gallon tank. Its basically sam principal but a little different. Some people say bio balls arent the best media, But personally they do perfectly fine. Especially if you already have them.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Yes I do have drip tray....so I need a divider in the first chamber if I use sponge or padding? Would I put the divider in the first chamber then the padding behind it or vice versa? Also what chamber do I put my heater in?

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
Yes I do have drip tray....so I need a divider in the first chamber if I use sponge or padding? Would I put the divider in the first chamber then the padding behind it or vice versa? Also what chamber do I put my heater in?

Your going to have to set up a divider or tray that will allow the water to pass though the mechanical filter media. You could do Sock filtration in the first part of the sump and then do some filter pad media across the drip tray. This would be plenty adequate to do the job and keep your bio media clean from build up as well as make your water sparkle. Normally you want the heater in the sump where it can fit. I normally put mine in with the pump laying it down flat on the bottom. But im not sure yours will allow you to do that unless you drill the side and sue a special bulkhead fitting that seals the end of the heater into the sump.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Thank you so much aquaticfan! One more question...the filter sock just attaches to the end of the intake hose right? so I can just use a sock there..then if I use padding with the drip tray do I just lay it over the top of the balls then lay the drip tray over that? Also my heater will only fit vertically is that ok? Awesome info again thanks

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
As long as your heater is under water put it anywhere you want in the sump.
The water coming into the sump should go directly into the filter sock. No need for any more mechanical filtration. You want to keep maintenance as easy as possible. Make sure if your filter sock clogs up it overflows INTO your sump. That way you won’t ever flood even if it clogs up.

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
As long as your heater is under water put it anywhere you want in the sump.
The water coming into the sump should go directly into the filter sock. No need for any more mechanical filtration. You want to keep maintenance as easy as possible. Make sure if your filter sock clogs up it overflows INTO your sump. That way you won’t ever flood even if it clogs up.
Egon Is correct. Sorry I mistyped earlier. I meant to say you could do the sock filtration OR the fliter pad media. You could do both if you want but not needed. The filter sock would work perfectly. I run 2 of them in my sump. Both currently are 200 micron. You can get them finer or less fine. I think for the most part 200 is a good balance number to start with. Egon is also correct in making sure your sock is set up so it wont flood over if it clogs. You can make a really easy sock holder from a piece of PVC with either sections cut out or holes drilled all over it so it flows down and through. You can also Zip tie it in place. there are all sorts of methods. And yes you can put the heater anywhere as long as its submerged (assuming is a submersible).

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Great info guys thanks...I think I should be ok with a sock as far as overflowing since the intake is in the middle of the side of the box...still not sure where my heater will go..it won't lay flat and since I've never had a sump I'm not sure how full any of the chambers get to accommodate a vertically placed heater... Also I'm assuming the drip plate is needed to disperse the water over the bioballs, which won't ever be completely submerged? I see the water escapes the bioball chamber at the bottom instead of flowing over

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store