Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
need
tank size/filtration
what you feed it
age/size
species ( granted most are treated the same but better to much info then not enough)
tank-mates

any other info you can think of.

either an internal infection or parasites would be my first guess but it could be something absolutely different depending on the info above.

NightAngel96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2013
Oklahoma
125gallon he's only 4" and filter is fluvial fx5 400gallons an hour only had him a week and a half tank mates are red tail/shovelnose hybrid featherfincatfish and a alge eater food rosyreds and he's a spotted gar

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
could be internal parsites.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
prazi-pro or similar IP dewormer w/ praziquel as the active ingredient...treat the whole tank.. usually if one fish has worms they all do and you won't just have them pass it around. Use a 1/2 dose initially wait 3 days then 50% WC then full dose wait 5 days then do another 50% WC. rinse and repeat every 4 weeks or so until your not seeing white poop anymore... usually one treatment round works but 2-3 sometimes neccisary w/ stubborn worms... left untreated it will kill your fish.

And if you run carbon remove it during the whole treatment phase, otherwise your just removing it.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-i personally would not jump to treating with meds yet (especially with a gar that small). i would raise up the temp to 78-82 and do 50% water changes daily and see if anything clears up. a photo would help with figuring out if the fish is actually bloated or if it is just stuffed from food, etc. gar waste material can be multi-colored at different times, so again, i wouldn't jump to meds or that it's parasites just yet.

also, most of those tankmates are terribly inappropriate for gars...separate from the catfish hybrid and from the pleco. rosies will be ok as they can be food for the gar. also, unless you caught the gar on our own outside of Florida (and assuming you have ruled out LNG/SNG/ALG), it is highly unlikely the gar is a spotted gar but more likely a Florida gar (look very similar).

good luck with your fish, and keep us posted on its progress--
--solomon

NightAngel96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2013
Oklahoma
I'm not sure how to post yet but its kinda red and vainy around anal and there's orange around it seen a small black dot in the center but there's a translucent sack witch I'm guessing is part or the anais

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store