Tank resealing w/no silicon at all- 1700 Gallons

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Silicon is just too much trouble... redid this tank with Sanitred only. You can see how it bonds straight to the windows. Sanitred makes a primer specifically for this, its harder to peel off that silicon on acrylic.

Both water and air pumps relocated upstairs... not the ideal configuration for pump efficiency, but the room is silent now at least.

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

clgkag

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
missouri
I have a 450 gal glass tank I need to reseal and have been having issue getting the silicone to hold. Would love to get more step by step details on how you resealed this tank with sanitred. Might give it a try on my tank.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
ON an all glass tank you should be fine stripping out the existing silicon (not having to disassemble) and the redo all the silicon as one solid bead for all edges. If you're just trying to patch, that will never work except for extremely lucky people. I couldn't say for certain if the Sanitred would be an advantage over silicon on your all glass tank. On custom builds though, I would never use silicon after seeing how simple the Sanitred is to use.

Sanitred would still work on your tank though. You would still have to completely strip down the silicon. Then order regular permaflex with the glass primer. It goes on as easy as painting and stays very flexible, just paint it on exactly where the silicon was and then follow with the permaflex sealer and you're done.

clgkag

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
missouri
Thanks. This tank has been resealed once and started leaking after a couple years again. I was going to try the sanitred because of the strength to see if the seals would last longer. I have a message in with them for their opinion.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Thanks! Its kind of barren right now, but just put around 200 fish in it last night and have another couple hundred arriving this Saturday. Not worried about any spikes because all of these new fish barely equal one or two of the current occupants in size.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Well, i put in new lights... I'm running about 20, 15ft 300LED 5050 light strips. I'm running these off two 600watt solid state power supplies, and one 100watt one for a single strip that is the primary light. The other strips only get turned on when I'm actively tank watching. These replaced 3 regular shop light fixtures that had aquarium bulbs in them as the primary light and a 600watt HI sodium light as the backup. These old fixtures created a lot of heat in the tank that I found out was responsible for all the humidity in the upper part of the tank. Everything was always wet because of it and mold was an issue. With out this extra heat everything stays dry now. And they look much better too.

I'm also in the process of setting up more fry refuges in the tank. If you watch any little tight spot in the tank long enough you can see tiny fish everywhere like plankton. But none of them ever reach adulthood in the tank except live bearers like mollies and platies. So I'm making more places that give them a chance. What I'm working on now is to use those square grass mats and form them together into boxes and attach several of these together and them wrap them in more loose types of plastic plants.. all held together with zip ties. The finished deal is a hollow structure that only tiny fish can get in and out of and floats around the tank. I'm hoping a couple of these will make a difference.

That's about it really as far as anything new.

I'll get some pictures this weekend and maybe a video. I have to clean the windows first.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
[video=youtube_share;QAMQd0iLXBo]http://youtu.be/QAMQd0iLXBo[/video]

Here are some videos of the tank with the new lighting. (300LED 5050 strips) The fish weren’t cooperating much though for the footage, I was hoping for some nice schooling behavior from the 24 clown loaches (5 are 6inchers..) or at least the gold barbs or tetras but they were playing shy for the camera. So sorry about that. But you can still get an idea of the activity you get in a large community tank. Some fish rarely come out to play, like a few weather loaches and six emerald corys.. but every once in a while they do school around the tank together. To me that just adds to the fun factor though when something comes out that you don’t see every day.

Picts of powersupplys

powersupplys.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store