Freshwater Tank - Milkey Water?

RCllns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2013
United States
Hi everyone. I have a Red Tail Catfish that is getting to big for his current tank so I am setting up a new tank that I decided to put sand in since I don't want him to him to swallow the rocks anymore. But, the tank has been filtering for 3 days now and I keep doing water changes every hour or 2. But, every time the water comes our this solid white color almost looks like its milk. I had the tank almost cleared at one point. But I moved the sand around to get the trapped air out and the water turned milky again. I've been fighting this battle with this tank and losing. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I need to get this tank setup within the next couple of days because the RTC is inside of a 46 gallon tank right now and he's about 10inches right now. Thanks

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury

Call_me_Tom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
SoCal
Pre-washing the sand will help to reduce cloudiness. My tank clouds when I disturb the sand but it usually clears in a day. When I really stir things up it takes longer.

One time I added more sand to my tank that had been sitting outside & the water clouded. I thought it was the sand but later discovered it was actually an algae bloom. I cleared it up with UV lights.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RCllns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2013
United States
Pre-washing the sand will help to reduce cloudiness. My tank clouds when I disturb the sand but it usually clears in a day. When I really stir things up it takes longer.

One time I added more sand to my tank that had been sitting outside & the water clouded. I thought it was the sand but later discovered it was actually an algae bloom. I cleared it up with UV lights.

I spent a while pre-washing each bag of sand... Hmm I guess I didn't wash it good enough. Would it hurt the fish if I just let the sand settle and don't disturb it at all? Only thing I am worried about my RTC likes to stir my gravel up already and don't want him to get hurt when he stirs the sand up.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
That's what I did earlier. But, when I moved the sand it made the water milky again
This takes time could be any where from a couple days to a month. All you gotta do is play the waiting game. If you really get Impatient go buy some water clarifier but that will only clear up the water but its not going to complete the cycle.

RCllns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2013
United States
This takes time could be any where from a couple days to a month

Would it hurt my Red Tail Catfish If I put him in the tank once it clears up and the sand settles? I already have the filter and everything setup but the RTC is growing pretty fast and I don't know how much longer I can keep him in his current tank. Would it hurt him if he stirs the sand up a little while he's swimming around the tank?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Is this tank cycled? You might just be seeing a bacterial bloom and not a mess from the sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store