Problem with drilled tank

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
So i was finally getting to setting up my 240 gallon when i ran upon a huge problem...in the overflow there are 3holes and the best part is that two of the holes are too close to together to put two bulkheads....i looked back at the old plumbing tat i cut....it seems to me the previous owner cut the bulkhead. I tried using tat and it seems tat the bulkhead on the outside stil hits the other one. What should i do? Should i just weld a piece of acrylic to the hole? How would I cud the acrylic to fit the weird slot?ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372291190.347798.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372291208.580800.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1372291232.080953.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I would cover two of the holes up with acrylic and run the return through the back or over the top. Dry fit the bulkhead in the one hole you plan on keeping and patch the two others from the bottom. With the bulkhead in you should be able to leave yourself enough room patching the other two holes without being in the way of the bulkhead.

edog

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2012
NY
Since you already have the bulkheads and sometimes patching acrylic can leak, maybe just try and shave the bulk heads down a little and see if it works. Sometimes, nothing to lose by trying.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
ive shaved bulkheads down without much problem. im afraid if you just cut one edge flat, you will not get it tighened properly and will leak

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Make yourself a donut spacer to put under one of the bulkhead nut. This would allow you to tighten the nut without sitting on the other. Trimming the inside flange may also be required as you have seen in the original setup.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Since you already have the bulkheads and sometimes patching acrylic can leak, maybe just try and shave the bulk heads down a little and see if it works. Sometimes, nothing to lose by trying.
ive shaved bulkheads down without much problem. im afraid if you just cut one edge flat, you will not get it tighened properly and will leak
what did you use? i was just going to use my jigsaw to cut it.
Make yourself a donut spacer to put under one of the bulkhead nut. This would allow you to tighten the nut without sitting on the other. Trimming the inside flange may also be required as you have seen in the original setup.
how would i go about making a donut spacer?

I would cover two of the holes up with acrylic and run the return through the back or over the top. Dry fit the bulkhead in the one hole you plan on keeping and patch the two others from the bottom. With the bulkhead in you should be able to leave yourself enough room patching the other two holes without being in the way of the bulkhead.
yea im going to try using the bulkheads before patching it

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Order some uniselas for the 2 smaller holes...no bolts or nuts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hoss62773

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
colorado
I would torque the largest one down, mark it and trim off excess so the smaller one will lay flush to the acrylic. if you start trying to patch holes and adding spacers, you risk a leak down the road. And usually no one is home :)

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Order some uniselas for the 2 smaller holes...no bolts or nuts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
hmmm these seem viable and are very cheap. Are they proven? can u push the pvc completely through the uniseal? why arent these more popular?

I would torque the largest one down, mark it and trim off excess so the smaller one will lay flush to the acrylic. if you start trying to patch holes and adding spacers, you risk a leak down the road. And usually no one is home :)
i would have to trim down the nut if i did it that way. would that compromise the bulkhead?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store