Will gar turn back on feeders only

7napoleon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2013
United States
I have 1 gar. And I already train it to eat dry krill. Now I want to vary its food and give it different nurtrition. So I want to feed it some feeders again, but will it become feeders on after that ?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I doubt that it will stop eating the krill if you decide to give it a feeder again but why not tilapia or shrimp?

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
It should still eat them. I like to give mine live fish to entertain guests lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I give my guys live feeders every 2 weeks or so.. otherwise they eat pellets, fillets, just about anything I toss in... If anything I find the feeders stimulate their appetites over-all. Been doing this now for the past 2yrs+ If they have constant access to live foods you "might" have issues with them starting to refuse pellets ect... But I found my floridas in particular to be lazy and acyually prefer the pellets ect that are easier to get. and imo krill/feeders/fillet ect alone isn't a diverse enough food quality. a quality pellet for extra vits/mins that they miss w/ the other foods ='s the healthiest gar you can get.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
you have a good thing going why would you want to take a chance on feeding goldfish when your gar already eats other things,you could try Hikiri Jumbo carnistick. my gator gar only ate live I finally got it of goldfish,It is 23 inches long and I think it was only eating live before I got it . Now he eats dried krill and some Tilapia fillets, I would never go back to goldfish because they are not a good source of nutrition and they carry all kinds of parasites and they are contaminated with copper that they use to treat for anything that ales them. and the copper will build up in your gar over time and shorten the life of the fish

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
as gars get older, they tend to go for the easy food more. I give my gars feeder minnows once in a while but it I throw pellet in the feed the koi, all of the gars except the smallest one go for pellet first.

jpcampbell123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
i used to offer some of my baby longnoses night crawlers from a trusted source to kind of mix it up a little. one of them liked them so much he/she would come up to the top of tank and take the night crawler from my hand. my floridas would eat pellets too . i did offer live feeders too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store